Chapter 8

After breakfast we all walked outside to the shop.

"Okay End today is boat training so first of all, you need to check the radar before you do anything else." I instructed him and he nodded going to his usual spot at the computer.

Ender was in charge of radar on normal days so he knew what he was doing but he still needed to run through the whole process.

"Okay, we're good for today but Car it looks like a swell is coming in tomorrow." He pointed to the screen.

"Alright, then we will cover everything up tonight." I nodded. "So next step, you need the boat keys and a radio."

He nodded before walking to the front desk and taking my radio out of the drawer and my keys off the hook.

"Ready." He said and I nodded.

"Let's head out then."

Ashton followed along as we walked down the docks to the vessel.

"Okay, so first what do you do?" I quizzed Ender.

"I have to turn on the boat and check the pressure and check for leaks and make sure my radio and GPS work before I can leave the dock." He answered confidently.

"Good job, now go do it and then i'll double check you." I nodded towards the boat and he ran off down the dock, leaping onto the boat.

Ashton and I both chuckled. He took my hand in his as we strolled to the boat, climbing on and then leaning against the rail waiting for the child.

"So what were you going to tell me?" I asked Ashton as we waited.

"Oh, I was just asking Ender if it was alright for me to date his sister." He said, a blush creeping slowly up his neck.

"What did he say?" I blushed as well.

"That he was good with it. He said that meant he got to hang out with me more. " Ashton chuckled.

"Of course." I laughed.

"Carter I'm ready!" Ender hollered from below deck and I sighed before tromping down the steps.

Ashton trailed behind me, watching me as I double checked Ender who watched me with wide eyes.

He did good. I was proud. I knew that one day Ender would have to take over the company and I had been teaching him the best I could when mom and dad died.

Ender wouldn't have a dad that could show him the ropes and teach him all of the life's lessons that went along with it, that was all on me. I had to be the dad, mom, big sister, grandparents, everything.

I was responsible for how he grew up and that was a big task.

"You're all set good job End." I smiled and Enders eyes shone brightly. "Time to sail bro."

"Yes!" He cheered and ran up the stairs, Ashton and I not far behind.

Sailing went well for his first time.

It took Ender a while before he finally got the throttle and gas working at the same time but after a few tries he was golden.

I had him sail in circles for his first time and then I pulled the boat back in, saving that lesson for later.

Then we had covered up the boat and tied up everything for the oncoming storm.

"Good job End, I'm proud of you!" I patted him on the head.

"Thanks Car." He smiled.

"Okay so dinner's your choice. We're going to the store so decide so we can put it on the list." I said as all three of us walked into the shop.