Chapter 40

Three days went by fast but not fast enough because I was so absolutely ready to be back in Ashton's presence.

After the stressful hospital trip last week and the unlawful event of Dylan's assault on me, I just wanted Ashton to be here.

He wouldn't be arriving at the house until late so we wouldn't be going to meet him and Calum at the landing. I'd spent the majority of my morning cleaning the house for them and preparing Calum's sleeping arrangement.

It was decided that Ashton would sleep upstairs with me and Calum would take the sofa downstairs. I had offered him Ender's bed but he graciously offered to take the couch.

I had already made dinner for Ender and I and placed the rest in the oven to keep it warm for Ashton and Calum so they could have something to eat after their long trip. Their flight from London lasted almost 22 hours and they had an extra two hours on the ferry to Haven Harbor so I knew they would be exhausted.

I made Ender shower and put on his pyjamas so that he could see Ashton and Calum when they got here and then go to bed since he had his first game tomorrow morning.

I made sure the house looked pristine and every noise or flash of something out of the corner of my eye made my anticipation level skyrocket.

So when the three knocks on the door signaled their arrival I practically bounced to the door but was knocked out of the way by a sprinting Ender.

"Ashton! Calum!" He screamed as he flung the door open.

"Hey mate!" Ashton yelled back and took him into a hug.

Even just the sound of his voice made my heart pound in my ears and my stomach feel tingly.

"Hey, Ender." Calum smiled and gave End a hug as well.

The sounds of barking followed as Bear made an appearance to the stranger at the door.

"Hey Bear." Ashton smiled and reached out a hand for Bear to get his scent. He received a lick of approval from Bear and then stood up to walk inside. Bear investigated Calum for a moment before a wide smile broke out on Calum's face.

"He's so cute!" Calum almost squealed and knelt down to pet the dog that was apparently enjoying all of the intention.

Ashton placed his suitcase by the door and then closed it, turning around to see me standing there.

My whole body felt light as I was in his presence again for the (almost) first time in a month and I wanted to scream with happiness.

"Hey." He said softly.

"Hi." I let the corners of my mouth turn up in a small smile despite the fact I was grinning like an idiot on the inside.

I wanted to be alone with him desperately so I quickly got myself together and back into sister/parental mode.

"Okay Ender you got to see them, now bed for you, you have to be up early." I said and he whined and complained in protest.

I ushered him (and Bear) up the stairs and into bed as quickly as possible. As always I gave him a kiss goodnight and then turned off the light and closed the door.

I was about to head downstairs as Calum reached the top step.

"Mind if I give him a little pep talk for tomorrow? It's something my dad always used to do."

"Sure, that'd be great." I smiled at him and he gave me a quick hug before heading into Enders room.

Now I could be alone with Ash.