Chapter 24

"Fix your collar, it's flipped up on one side." I pointed out to Ender who immediately reached up to attend to the wardrobe malfunction.

We were stood outside the school while parents and children passed by us. The look of anxiety and excitement was plastered to Ender's face. The first day of school was always the hardest.

It seemed like it had approached so fast too.

Over the weekend we had went and purchased some back-to-school clothes since our plans to do that had been previously discarded, and then got the needed supplies as well. Though it didn't dawn on me until this morning when I had to wake up early and make his lunch, pack his backpack, get us both ready and out the door, and ride our bikes to town.

But now I was standing outside the school, my hands smoothing down a few stray pieces of his dark, curly locks and adjusting his shirt.

"Are you excited?" I asked, continuing with my nit picking of his outfit.

"Yeah, I can't wait to see Trey and Reid again, but I don't want to do the homework. They said it gets harder this year." He frowned.

"It gets harder every year, but you're smart and I know you'll do great." I assured him.

The loud ringing of the school bell sounded around us and students began to make their way to the red double doors that led inside the long, tan, brick building.

I leant down and gave Ender a hug and a kiss on the head.

"I'll be back at three to pick you up. Have fun. I love you."

"Love you too."

And with that he scampered off into the building, leaving me standing alone in front of the school.

It wasn't until I saw his red backpack disappear  past the door that I remembered how lonely it was during the school year.

In an attempt at partially distracting myself I mounted my bike and rode to the coffee shop in town and had a latte to make myself feel better.

While Ender was at school I spent the majority of the day by myself at the house. It was the first official day of off season but there was still work to be done.

I decided to begin by unloading the boat and placing all of its contents in the shop so I could deep clean the boat. That process normally took several days and was quite labor intensive so I figured I would get it started and then clean it after we got back from Sydney.

After I unloaded the boat I took a lunch break and then sat down at the revamped computer and prepared all of this seasons invoices to be sent out. Once they were all printed out I realised we were in need of envelopes and stamps so I assumed we would go shopping for those after I picked Ender up.

Our typical first day of school routine consisted of me picking him up and then us going shopping for supplies his teachers wanted and then eating dinner at the pizza place on Main Street.

I checked the time and it read 2:30 so I got my phone and wallet and headed off to the school, arriving ten minutes early of the release time.

Waiting by the bike racks, I scrolled aimlessly through my phone which contained very little. By having no form of social media my phone was very blank.

I had seen on Ashton's phone the many apps of social networks and knew he had the accounts. Maybe I could make an account and we could follow each other on there.

A shrill ringing announced the release of the students and the lot of them poured out of the buildings doors.

Ender's small frame bounded up to me and I captured him in a hug.