Chapter 57

The next morning my head felt a little more clear. I guess somewhere between the scotch and the Harry Potter movie my brain had come to accept the situation as real.

As I got out of bed Gracie woke up as well, wrapping her arms around my neck as I carried her downstairs, her clinging to me like a sloth.

I started the coffee and pulled out a few things for breakfast while Gracie snoozed away on my shoulder.

Ender was still being cold to me when I woke him up, but I decided it would be better if I ignored him for the sake of my sanity.

I got him to school like I had the day prior, with Gracie sitting on my lap as I rode the bike.

Once home I started to work, spending my afternoon with Gracie on the boat, fine tuning nautical instruments and doing a little cleaning.

I was below deck organising some supply shelves when my phone beeped at me.

Of course it was a text from Ashton.

'We need to talk about this.'

I sighed. I was going to have to talk to him eventually and I knew him, he wasn't going to relent until I did.

I looked over at Gracie who was sitting on the tan sofa in the little lounge area next to me.

'Come by tonight after the kids are asleep.'

I sent him.

I didn't want to send mixed signals to the kids if Ashton came by for dinner or something and then we talked and we ended up breaking up and then confuse them even more.

My phone vibrated in my hand.

'I'll be there.' He had said.

I locked my phone again, my stomach twisting in knots in anticipation of what would take place tonight.

Gracie and I went to pick up Ender later on that day and I quickly got them back home.

Despite the fact that I was absolutely freaking out on the inside, I kept a calm exterior on the outside; finishing laundry, which consisted of some of Ashton's clothes. Then it hit me that I had kicked him out of the house without any of his things.

Wow I was a bitch.

I stowed them away in his drawer and then went downstairs trying to forget about it.

I made us some chicken and vegetables for dinner and being nice I even let the kids have ice cream for dessert, hoping they'd get tired from all of the sugar.

Ender took Bear for a walk while I got Gracie in the tub, letting her play in the bubbles for a bit before taking her out and getting her into her pyjamas.

Ender then went to get in the shower while Gracie followed me around downstairs telling me about her adventures with Ellie the elephant that day while I cleaned up.

Once Ender was out of the shower I got Gracie into my bed and tucked her in.

"Goodnight, lovey." I kissed her cheek.

"Night, Mommy." She said and turned over in the blankets, she was out like a light.

Next I went to Ender's room. He was sitting up in bed with his lamp on reading a book.

"Goodnight, End." I said and he set his book down, turning off his lamp.

"Hey," I became much softer as I walked up next to him and crouched down beside the bed, "I'm sorry things are this way right now, but please know I love you and I'm really sorry."