Chapter 26

Dull thuds pounded their way into my dreams of random blurs and sounds causing me to shift slightly in the warm confinement of the sheets.

A soft "Nrgh" sounded in my left ear and I warily creaked my eyes open to be met with the sight of the bed sheets and the edge of my pillow case. I was lying on my stomach, and by the warm presence that encased my sides I could feel that Ashton's arm was draped across my tank top clad back.

I heard the thuds once more and lifted my head up. To my right was a window that was covered by a dark blue curtain so I couldn't tell if it was morning or not. To my left was Ashton's body laying on his side with his arm still resting on me, and beyond him was the nightstand with the alarm clock that read 7:42.

The thuds were heard again along with a small call of my name and I realised it was knocking.

"Ash, wake up." I barely murmured.

Instead of waking up, he exhaled and turned his head to the side, burying it in the pillows.

"Ashton." I whined a little louder and received no response.

Knocking came again and I sat up, pushing my hair back and then tried shoving Ashton's shoulder's but he just flipped over, releasing my waist.

Sighing in defeat, I climbed out of bed and went to answer the door. I slipped out into the hallway and was met with my brother standing in front of the door.

"Hey bub." I yawned.

"Morning." He replied and I could tell that he had been up for a while.

"How long have you been up?" I rubbed at my eyes and he shrugged.

"For a bit, Ashton's mum is making pancakes." He informed me and I followed him into the kitchen where Ann was standing at the stove.

"Morning Carter." She smiled at me as I walked in, my arms folded across my stomach because I was freezing. "There's coffee if you'd like some." She offered and I gratefully obliged, pouring myself a steaming cup full and then sitting at the bar.

"Ashton's still sleeping." I said after taking a sip.

"I figured. He is dead to the world in the mornings." She laughed.

"He was always up before me." I chuckled. "I tried to wake him up and it was like trying to wake up a rock."

"Oh yes, getting him up in the morning to go to school was a nightmare." She added.

"I bet." I laughed and then tried to drink as much caffeine as possible.

Ender and I chatted about random things and Ann piped in a few times until breakfast was served and we were all chewing mouthfuls of pancakes. 

I was about three quarters of the way done with my breakfast when a sleepy Ashton emerged from the hallway and dragged himself into the kitchen.

"Morning sleepyhead." Ann quirked and he barely nodded before ducking down and pressing a tired kiss to my hair and then walking past to get food for himself.

I needed a refill on my coffee so I got up to get more and made Ashton a mug as well. He smiled gratefully as I handed it to him and we joined Ender and Ann back at the bar.

A sudden commotion came from the front door and three tall boys burst through it.

"Calum! Michael! Luke!" Ender jumped from the bar stool and flung himself towards the guys who met him with open arms and wide grins.

"Hey mate!" They all said as they greeted him.

"Hey Carter." Luke walked up and gave me a shoulder hug as I was still sitting on the stool.