Chapter 35

The Monday Ender went back to school I had decided to take the boat out and just spend a little time by myself.

I had been wanting to visit my favourite reef for a while now and I had enough time to go and get back before I had to pick up Ender from practice.

Gathering up a suit, some oxygen tanks, and other things I would need, I almost ran to the boat.

The moment I started to drive away from the docks I felt a weight lift off my shoulders and promised myself I wouldn't go this long without sailing ever again.

It took me about 45 minutes to get to the cove. It was hidden between two juts of land that reached up several hundred feet in the air. The rocky cliffs casted a cover of shade over the cove making it a bit darker and cooler but I loved it.

I dropped anchor and suited up, itching to get in the water. Once I was ready, I wasted no time in jumping right in, the feeling of the water rushing over my body overwhelming me.

It seemed that every time I was in the water a feeling of exhilaration just took over me.

Diving down I found myself in a new world. A multitude of fish, coral, and other marine life spread before me.

I couldn't fight the smile that played on my lips and honestly I didn't want to. I was happy.

Most of the times when I came to this reef it was because I wanted to think about things I couldn't really think about at home.

Today I didn't want to think, I wanted to swim around and explore a little.

So that's how I spent my afternoon; underneath the waves with the sea horses and starfish surrounded by a rainbow of coral.

When I had gone through my second oxygen tank I decided it was time to go back up to the surface.

My mood was elevated and I felt refreshed.

Pulling myself on board I took off my mask and empty tank and my diving shoes.

I went below deck and slipped out of my suit and dried off, changing into a white tee and blue jean shorts.

Jogging back up on deck I started to make my way to the staircase for the bridge but my foot found itself in a puddle of water and my body followed suit. As I slipped forward my arm reached out for something but instead my head hit the painted steel hard and I lost consciousness.

--

"Carter Chase?" A mans voice pierced through the blackness that was surrounding me.

My head ached and my body felt heavy but I managed to creak my eyes open enough to see some man I didn't know crouched down before me.

"We're going to get you help, you're going to be okay." He said to me and I responded by blinking my eyes again.

He pulled away a towel he had pressed to my forehead that I didn't even notice but I saw red on the fabric and my stomach lurched.

I was completely unaware of the floodlights that were shining on the boat, or the helicopter that was up in the air above me, or three coastguard boats that surrounded my ship.

There were voices that I could hear but other than that I was out of it and I took the peace of closing my eyes and falling back asleep than trying to move my body.

--

The next time I awoke I was met with a harsh bright light directly over my eyes making me squint.