Chapter One

The sound of annoying beeps blaring harshly in my ear caused my eyes to flutter open. All I could see was dark through my open window, the smell of saltwater filling the room.

My alarm said 5:15 A.M.

I stretched out on the bed, my muscles aching from the intense labour they endured yesterday. I blinked a few times to chase the sleep away from my eyes and then sat up slowly. I felt around the floor with my feet until I felt my slippers.

I slipped them on, standing up and hobbling to the bathroom. My brown hair hung in its natural waves across my shoulders. My tan skin was a little bruised and battered from yesterday but it looked fine. I ran my fingers through my hair, taking away the poofiness, and then brushed my teeth.

After that I dressed in a pair of white shorts and a navy blue tee. I flung my hair over my shoulder as I slipped on my flip-flops.

I was now dressed and it was time to get my little brother Ender up as well. Ender was ten and the light of my life. I had been taking care of him since he was four, all by myself. To say we were close was an understatement.

I knocked on his bedroom door.

"End, it's time to get up!" I yelled, clearing my throat after.

"I'm up!" He yelled back and I could hear a commotion from behind his door.

"Breakfast in ten, we have a lot of work to do!" I hollered back, then jogged down the stairs to the kitchen.

The house was large for two people, three-bedrooms with two bathrooms. The kitchen and lounge room merged into one big room on the first level along with a dining room on the left side of the stairs that was never used. The walls that were once painted a aquamarine colour were now faded. The white wooden floors had been scraped and eroded by sand, leaving them paint chipped. Though thats what living by the beach came with. Easily eroded wood and paint, and sand in everything.

I grabbed a pan from the cabinet underneath the stove and set it on the burner, clicking on the heat and grabbing a carton of eggs from the refrigerator. I cracked two into the pan, sizzling as they touched the hot metal, then grabbed a spatula and began moving the eggs around the pan so they wouldn't burn.

I turned down the heat when they were done so they would keep warm and then popped two pieces of bread into the toaster. While the bread was toasting I took two plates from the cabinet above the sink and snatched butter from the fridge, placing them on the bar.

"Ender!" I yelled and a few seconds later he bounded down the stairs. His curly brown hair was tousled. He wore a pair of cargo shorts and a light green tee that went nicely with his tan skin and grey eyes, just like me.

He smiled excitedly as he ran into the room.

"First day of summer bro, you ready?" I asked.

"Yes!"He jumped up and down.

"Grab the orange juice and the cups." I said, maneuvering around him to plate the eggs and snatch the toast without burning myself. I set our food on the bar as he poured the juice, climbing up onto the bar stool.

"Oh I forgot forks." I said, getting up and grabbing two from the silverware drawer.

"Way to go Car." He said sarcastically.

"Brat." I stuck my tongue out at him and he laughed.

"Mkay, eat up. We have a lot to do before we open." I said before shoving a fork-full of eggs into my mouth. He nodded doing the same.

I downed my breakfast and took my plate to the sink, turning on the water.

"Bring me your plate and i'll wash. Go check the radar." I said and he smiled, running out the front door and to the shop five feet away.