Chapter 58

Ashton's POV:

Soft light filtered past my eyelids causing me to squeeze them shut tighter. My throat was dry, my head was pounding, and my eyes slightly burned.

Opening my eyes I blinked a few times and then dropped my gaze down, my heart stuttering over itself.

Carter was in my lap, her head against my chest and her knees pulled up to her chin. Her eyes were a little swollen and there were shiny marks on her cheeks from where her tears had raked down her beautiful face.

Her mouth was slightly parted and slow, even breaths escaped her lips.

If she was like me, last night had been the first night she'd been able to actually sleep for the past few days.

Last night had probably been one of the worst of my life, and I didn't think it was over. We had never gotten to a final decision. Our entire relationship was still up in the air and it was up to her whether we continued it or not.

She was still wearing the promise ring I had given her and that gave me hope, but I needed more than hope, I needed her.

My arms were still circling her back, holding her and she moved in her sleep, her hand that was against my stomach coming up to clutch the fabric of my tee shirt.

Maybe she needed me too.

There was a light area on my shirt from where her tears had fallen and then dried.

Using my hand I began to stroke at the hair behind her ear. She nestled into me, sighing in her slumber and it felt like a little weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. Would she be able to forgive me?

I had the urge to kiss her face but I refrained, I wasn't going to do that until she wanted me to.

Carter started to stir beneath me, little noises coming from her lips and then her eyes fluttered open, revealing the grey irises I had come to love so much.

Her fingers released their grip on my shirt as she came to realise she had fallen asleep on my lap last night.

She tilted her head up to look at me and a little smile appeared on my face.

"Hey." I said to her, my voice gruff. My fingers were still petting at her hair and she didn't move away or say anything so I continued.

"Hi." She said just as dryly, reaching up to rub at her eyes. She looked down at our compromising position and sat up a little more making me worry. "Sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep on you."

"No, you're fine." I assured her but she shook her head.

"No, it was a mistake, I shouldn't have done that." She started to get up but I stopped her.

"Don't say that. Please." I pleaded. "Come back?"

She bit her bottom lip, thinking, then carefully sat back down on my legs, drawing her knees back up to her chin.

My hand went to her back and she sat there for minute just breathing before she spoke.

"I shouldn't be doing this. I'm supposed to be mad at you."

"Are you?" I asked her.

"No." She sighed. "I'm not."

Even though it should have, that didn't make me feel better, she hadn't forgiven me yet I could tell.

"So where did last night leave us?" I asked again, hoping for a better answer.

"I'm not sure." She breathed. "Ashton, you really hurt me."