Chapter 43

"I still can't believe you're getting another kid. It's like you're going to be a parent." Ari said as she placed a bottle of apple juice in the fridge.

"I know. It's so weird, it's almost like it's hit me but it really hasn't, and I don't think it will until she gets here." I spoke while unloading another grocery sack.

"What time is she getting here?" She asked.

"Noon." I answered.

Today was the day.

The past two weeks had literally flown by. Ari had been helping me the whole two weeks making space in the house for Gracie. We cleaned out all of the clothes bags from my closet and took them to the resale shop so hopefully I would get a little cash.

Australian Social Services had come out to do a house inspection and also do background checks on me, Ender, Ari, Jason, and Ashton.

We also went out and bought a car seat for Ashton's jeep, a little bed for her when we found a place to put it, and made trips to the grocery store to get things we thought she'd like.

"What if we moved the dresser on the wall beside your bed, closer to the door, and put the bed between there and the dresser?" She thought aloud.

"We'd have to turn it to the side so that it was against the wall."

"It could work?" She shrugged.

"I'll figure it out in a bit. I need to get some other things done."

"Alright, well i'm going to go. Call me tonight and tell me how it goes and let Jason and I know when we can come by and meet her."

"Of course. Thank you for all of your help this week." I gave her a tight hug.

"Anything for you, Car." She smiled and waved as she left.

Ender was outside in the shop checking the email and came in a few minutes later with a few new safety forms sent out by the coastguard for me to sign, and a upgrade on our radio system for the boat.

"Hey End, help me figure out where to put this bed." I told him and headed to my room.

"We could put it against the wall but that leaves like no room left in here." I crossed my arms as I thought.

"What if she stayed in mom and dads room?" He asked.

"I don't think that's the best idea. We never go in there and I'd rather her be in my room and I sleep in there than the other way around."

"Well we can put the bed in my room, there's a spot for it against the wall."

"Yeah, but you know I don't want to make you share your room." I sat down on the floor, trying to think of the best alternative.

The squeaking sound of the front door opening made my head raise up, until I realized it was Ashton arriving.

It was only ten in the morning and my day was already so chaotic that I had almost forgotten my boyfriend was coming back today.

"We're upstairs!" Ender called down to him and I heard his footsteps and then he entered the room.

Suddenly all of the worry, anxiety, and fear of today faded away.

"Hey." He grinned at Ender and I. "How you guys feeling?"

"Excited." Ender answered at the same time that I said "Nervous."

"Well i'm sure everything is going to go great. Need any help?" He asked, setting his suitcase to the side.

"Just get your things put away and we should be all set." I answered, trying to focus back on the bed situation.