Chapter 53

My alarm went off at 5:30 as usual and Ashton groaned next to me. I slammed my hand on it and got up so I could start getting ready.

Gracie clung to me as I made the coffee and Ashton came down a few minutes later.

Instead of grabbing his mug like he usually did, he came up behind me, winding his arms around my waist, making sure not to get Gracie.

"I'm sorry about last night." He said softly.

"I'm not mad at you." I honestly answered.

"Still I feel guilty for making you feel like I wasn't proud of you." He kissed my shoulder.

"Listen to me," I moved so I could face him, "Don't feel bad. I'm not angry with you at all."

"Okay." He said quietly and I kissed his nose before taking Gracie upstairs to wake up Ender.

I made sure to make myself extra presentable today by fixing my hair and doing my makeup.

I didn't really have any job interviewing clothes so I wore a navy blue tee that said chase marina tours and white shorts. I paired that with my white converse that I had cleaned the day before.

"Do you think this is okay?" I asked Ashton as I walked downstairs.

"Look great, babe!" He smiled as he was helping Gracie put her shoes on.

We got Ender to school and then Ashton took me back to the house so I could wait it out until the interview.

At 2:40 Ashton drove me and Gracie back up to the school.

"Okay, so you, Gracie and Ender can go hang out in town and I'll meet you guys there after my interview."

"Sounds like a plan." He smiled and we waited for Ender to come outside.

I saw his blue hoodie and red backpack emerge from the building. He jogged over to the jeep and pulled himself in.

"Alright, I'm going to head to the athletic building." I said and started to get out of the jeep when Ashton reached out to tug back on my arm.

"Hey," He called me back and leaned across the centre console to lock his lips to mine, "Good luck."

"Thanks." I blushed heavily and waved goodbye to Gracie and Ender before turning around to walk into the building.

I looked back to watch the jeep pull away from the curb and then continued on my way into the school, making my way to the front office so I could sign in.

Betty, the schools front desk receptionist who had been working there for at least 50 years, came around the desk to give me a hug.

"Carter, how are you?" She asked me.

"I'm well, how are you?" I smiled.

"Well i'm still breathing so thats good enough for me." She laughed. "How can I help you?"

"I'm here to see Coach Robin on the open assistant coach position."

"Oh, you'd do so well at that." She clasped her hands together. "Well I'll call him and let him know you're here." She patted my arm and went back around the desk make the call.

I took a seat on one of the blue chairs in the waiting area they had set up.

"Coach Robin, Carter Chase is here for her interview." I listened to Mrs. Betty talk on the phone and then heard her hang it up.

"He'll be right down, you'll be doing the interview in the conference room." She poked her head over the desk and I nodded at her.

About five minutes later Coach Robin walked through the doors of the front office.