Chapter 42

"Call them now!" Ender beamed like he'd just won a million dollars as I pulled out my phone.

"Alright." I swatted his hands away from my phone and dialled back Holly Bakers number.

"Hello?" She answered quickly.

"Hi Holly, this is Halle Chase."

"Oh Halle! Did you have a question for me?"

"I do, but uh, we've decided to take Gracie in."

Ender was bouncing in his seat next to me.

"Oh, that's great!"

"Yes." I smiled softly. " I have a lot of questions though."

"Good, I'll help you out the best I can."

"Thank you. So when would she be moving in with us?"

"Two weeks." She replied.

"Alright, is there anything I need to know about her, any medical issues or problems?"

"No, she's a perfectly healthy little girl."

"Great."

"Do you have any more questions?"

"Not at the moment but I'll call you if I do."

"Great. Well I'll start on her paperwork and we will see you in two weeks."

"Okay. Thank you Holly."

"Have a nice day."

When I hung up everyone was staring at me expectantly, waiting for what I had to say.

"She is a healthy four year old and she'll be here in two weeks." I said, a smile playing on my lips.

"Yes!" Ender cheered and I laughed lightly.

I may have been smiling on the outside but I was freaking out on the inside.

"I'm gonna go take a shower while you three decide on what you want for dinner." I said as I hopped down from the stool, pet Bear on the head, and then sauntered upstairs.

I turned on the shower and got right in, hoping that maybe the water would wash away my worries, but it didn't.

I was probably going to have to take on another job. And Gracie wouldn't be old enough to go into school so I'd have to find a daycare for her when I found another job.

This was another person to buy groceries for, toys for, doctors appointments, dentist appointments. Next year would be school supplies and clothes, and I'd have to figure out how to get her there if she didn't know how to ride a bike.

And where was she going to sleep? I couldn't kick Ender out of his room, but I didn't want to move into my parents room so that would be a trick.

I was in way over my head.

I pressed my back to the wall and slid down so that I was sitting on the shower floor, the water hitting my knees.

What if she didn't like me? What if she hated it here?

How was I going to raise an eleven year old and a four year old all on my own?