Chapter 44

When I awoke the next morning Ashton was snoring softly away next to me, his body keeping me warm.

After our night a few weeks ago where we finally went to second base, we hadn't done anything else. And even if we wanted to, I didn't feel like now was the right time with Gracie now living here. I felt bad because part of me felt like I was neglecting him, but I had so much going on that I didn't really have much time to think about it. I'd talk to him later about it.

Slipping out of Ashton's arms I found my grey slippers on the floor and made my way downstairs to start the coffee pot. I heard a noise behind me and saw Gracie sitting up on the couch, her hair a bit messed up but looking wide awake.

She stood up and walked over to where I was standing in the kitchen.

"Morning, Gracie." I smiled at her. "Did you sleep okay?"

She nodded up at me, her rabbit in her hand.

"Wanna help me walk Bear?" I asked and she nodded again. She followed me upstairs and I slowly opened Ender's door, letting Bear out. He happily wagged his tail and gave Gracie a good morning nudge with his nose. The corners of her lips turned up in an almost smile and it gave me a little hope.

I hooked Bear to his leash and opened the front door, Gracie following me outside. I let Bear walk around in the grass and do his business before letting him back inside. I filled his food and water bowl and he went to go eat while I poured myself a cup of coffee.

"Would you like some orange juice?" I asked her and she nodded. I picked her up and set her in a stool so she could sit at the bar.

I found a glass and poured her some, setting it in front of her. She took it gingerly in her hands and took a sip.

Ashton came down a few minutes later, his eyes tired.

"Morning." He mumbled as he came up to me and leaned down to give me a kiss.

"Hey." I looked up at him and pointed my chin towards the bar where Gracie was sitting.

"Oh." He gave me an apologetic look. "Morning, Gracie." He gave her a smile.

I turned to rummage through the fridge to see what we had for breakfast. Ender would definitely have a say in what we ate so I would leave the decision up to him.

"Uhm, I'm going to go take a shower." I said to both of them. "Are you two going to be okay for a few minutes?"

"Yeah, we'll be fine." Ashton smiled.

"Okay." I said and hurried upstairs to take a quick shower. Once I was done I changed into shorts and a tee and towel dried my hair so It would finish drying on its own.

When I came back downstairs, Ashton and Gracie were sitting on the sofa, cartoons playing on the television.

"Goofy is my favorite. Are you a minnie mouse fan?" He asked and Gracie nodded. "Cool."

"Okay, what about your favorite color, is it blue?" He asked and she shook her head no. "Red? Green? Purple? Pink? Ah, yes!" He grinned when he finally got it right.

I stood silently behind them, watching the exchange.

"Okay so you like strawberries, the movie frozen, minnie mouse, the color pink...what else? Oh, favorite animal? I'm going to guess rabbit, am I right?"

She nodded, hugging her rabbit close to her.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" He asked.

She held one finger and he nodded.