Chapter 84

It felt so strange being in the house all alone after Ashton and the kids had left.

I didn't like the empty feeling so I hurried to Ari's house on my bike, wanting to be with someone even if it was the person who was miffed at me.

When I got to the house and walked in I was surprised to find her in her bathroom, sitting on the counter doing her makeup.

"You're sick and you're still doing a full face of makeup?" I leaned against the door frame.

"If I'm going to die I'm going to die glamorous." She remarked as she started in on her eyeshadow and I rolled my eyes.

"Do you need anything?" I asked her.

"Can you check my phone and see if the pharmacy has called to say my prescription is ready?"

"Yeah."

I headed to her bedroom which looked like a war zone.

"What the hell happened in here?" I called out to her as I made my way through piles of dirty laundry, shopping bags, and tissues.

"I'm sick, leave me alone." She yelled back.

"Still." I muttered under my breath and went to check her phone seeing the pharmacy had indeed called.

"They called I'm going to go pick it up. Do you need anything else at the store?" 

"More tissues and ice cream. Chocolate not German chocolate, you know that."

"If you know that I know then why did you remind me?"

"Just go." She waved her hand at me and I gave her a look before leaving.

Of course I noticed the teenage girls who were grocery shopping with their families staring at me as I walked through the store.

A few took my picture as I passed but I just smiled at them and gave them a little wave.

As I was standing in line to check out I received a text from Ashton saying they had arrived in Sydney safely and along with it was a picture of Gracie asleep in the back seat of the car.

I smiled and sent back a reminder for us to talk that night and then bought the groceries.

Back at Ari's house she had finished her makeup and was now laying in bed.

"Okay let's hope this cures you and we don't have to send you to the centre for disease control." I said as I popped open the pill bottle.

"You're sassy today." She remarked.

"I live with a four year old sass monster and a brother and fiancé who aren't much better."

"Gracie being sassy gives me life." She laughed after she swallowed her antibiotic.

"You should have heard her this morning." I said and then switched to a higher pitched voice to mimic hers. "Mommy, you can't tell me what to do I'm a big kid now, so I can tell you what to do."

"Oh gosh." Ari giggled. "How did that work out?"

"Let's just say she was extremely disappointed when I informed her that was not the case." I chuckled.