Chapter 39

"It doesn't even seem real." I sighed into my phone.

"I know how you feel." Ashton sighed back at me.

I couldn't get the image out of my head.

My face pressed against the floor of my boat, red blood covering the area around my head, making a horrible contrast against the pearly white, glossy metal.

"When I saw that picture my heart literally stopped." He said and I couldn't agree more.

"I know the feeling." I laughed lightly. "So how's London? I didn't even know you were there when I was in the hospital."

"Well we left the day the accident happened, that's what I was calling to tell you, and I didn't find out about the accident until I was already there."

"Oh. Well what's it like there?" I was laying on my stomach on my bed, my feet up in the air.

"Cold." He laughed. "And rainy. But it's really pretty."

"I think I'd like to go to London someday." I mused.

"I can take you. We can go sight seeing and go to some of my favourite places. I think you'd like it."

"That would be amazing." I smiled into the phone.

There was a moment of silence.

"I'm sorry I can't be with you this week. I really wish I could." He breathed.

"It's okay, Ash. I really am fine." I assured him.

"I know you're fine, it's just that I shouldn't had to have left you the day after you got out of the ER. I feel like I barely got to see you." The guiltiness was thick in his voice.

"I barely got to see you too, but we get to see each other this weekend. We can make up for lost time." I suggested.

"I'm definitely taking you up on that offer." He said, a smirk evident in his voice.

I could hear the sound of the house phone ringing downstairs and a moment later it stopped, Ender probably answering it.

A few seconds later his feet pounded up the stairs and he appeared at my open bedroom door.

"Hey, Car, the bank's on the phone." He walked up to me.

"Okay. Ash, hold on a sec." I said into the receiver while holding out my other hand for the house phone.

"Hello?" I asked when I pressed it up to my ear.

"Is this Halle Chase?" The woman on the other line asked.

"Yes, this is she." I replied.

"Well, Halle, I've called to inform you about two things. One, your savings account had a withdraw over the amount of five hundred dollars and we were just making sure that was you?"

"Yes, that was me." I confirmed.

"Great. And the second thing is that you've been charged for 3,780 dollars from St. Vincent's hospital and you don't have enough in your account to cover it."

My heart sank.

I knew the bill was going to be hefty but I didn't think it was going to be this expensive.