Chapter 74

I woke up the next morning feeling much more refreshed.

Ashton was passed out next to me and I knew he was exhausted so I let him rest, carefully slipping out of the bed as to not wake him.

I remained quiet as I went to my closet to put the thin navy blue flannel robe I had that I hadn't worn in a while, over my pyjamas. Just like the robe at the hotel Ashton and I had stayed at it stopped a few inches after my bum.

I slipped on my grey slippers as well, pulled my hair into a ponytail, and padded downstairs into the kitchen.

The clock on the microwave said 5:45 and I started the coffee maker, breathing in the lovely smell of the morning coffee.

As I was pulling down a mug from the cabinet I felt a little pair of arms wrap around my legs.

"Morning Gracie." I set my cup on the counter then placed a hand on on her head, pushing back the messy hair that was in her face.

I bent down to pick her up and she wrapped her legs around my waist as I began to bounce her lightly.

Ender was still asleep on the sofa so I tried to be as quiet as I could.

I was pouring my cup of coffee when I heard a noise and turned to see Ann walking into the kitchen in a red flannel pyjama top and pants.

"Good morning." I smiled at her as she walked in.

"Good morning." She smiled back. "Hi Gracie." She came up and kissed Gracie who beamed up at her.

"Morning Grandma." Gracie said and I scrunched up my nose as I smiled at the little girl I was holding on my hip.

Ann took a seat at the bar and I went to get another mug from the cupboard.

"You take three sugars in your coffee, right?" I checked with Ann, remembering how I had observed how she prepared her drink when we were in Sydney.

"Yes." She said surprised.

I turned and made her coffee for her and then handed it to her.

"You are so sweet, thank you." She smiled before taking a sip of her coffee.

"Okay can you go wake up Ender for me?" I asked Gracie and then set her down on the ground where she proceeded to run over to Ender and jump on him.

"What the- Gracie!" He exclaimed as her small body hit his.

"Mommy said wake up." I heard her say as I grabbed a knife and a banana to start cutting it up in slices for Gracie's breakfast.

"Okay okay." Ender grumbled and then the two of them walked into the kitchen, Gracie coming back over to me and pulling on my arm for me to pick her up.

"Gracie I have a knife in my hand please stop. I'll pick you up in a minute." I scolded her slightly and she stood next to me while I finished slicing the banana into a little blue bowl and then went to wash the knife and my hands.

"Okay come here." I said and she reached up to me while I placed my hands under her arms and lifted her up, settling her back on my waist.

"Do you want milk or juice?" I asked her.

"Milk." She answered and I grabbed the carton from the fridge and poured her glass, hearing Ashton's footsteps coming down the stairs.

He shuffled into the kitchen, rubbing at his eyes and I went to put the milk away.

"Mommy you're pretty." Gracie said randomly next to me and laughed.

"Thank you." I leaned in to kiss her cheek. "You're very pretty too."