Chapter 14

The buzzing of my alarm caused me to rise from bed. I threw my hair up and tiptoed to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

Still in my pyjamas I raced down the stairs as quietly as I could and pounced on top of the still sleeping Ashton on the couch.

He gasped when I jumped on top of him, startling him awake.

"Merry Christmas." I chirped.

"Merry Christmas." He chuckled as he sat up so that I was now sitting on his lap, facing him.

"How'd you sleep?" I smiled again as I watched him rub the sleep from his eyes.

"Good." He yawned. "You?"

"Good." I replied and bumped my nose against his.

"So when does he come down-"

"I'm up!" Enders voice called down the stairs interrupting Ashton's question.

"Never mind." Ashton chuckled and I removed myself from my position on top of him.

"You can come down." I called back and the sound of feet barreling down the stairs thundered throughout the house.

Ashton stood up stretching as we watched Ender bound into the room basically flinging himself at the present boxes under the tree.

He ripped the paper on the first box he touched, revealing a nerf bow and arrow.

"Yes!" Ender cried of happiness and then moved on to the next package.

This continued as he opened all of his gifts but the look on his face when he opened the box with the new skateboard in it brought tears to my eyes.

I had to save since he first picked it out for the board. Every week I put a little bit aside for it until I had saved up.

"This is the best Christmas ever!" Ender exclaimed, which caused Ash and I both to laugh.

"I'll be right back." I jumped up from my spot on the floor and jogged down the little hallway to the door at the end of it. My parents room.

I quickly went inside and like every other time, nostalgia hit me like a brick.

It was like a museum, everything preserved with time, never changing, never moving. The bed was still made with the white frilly bed skirt and comforter. Pictures and trinkets covered the dressers and night stands.

I went for the green bag I set next to the door and then left the room, closing away those memories for now.

I went back to the living room where Ashton was helping Ender take his new action figure out of the box.

"Okay Ash, time for your present." I beamed.

"I got one?" He asked with a surprised expression but a wide grin still graced his face.

"Of course." I smiled and walked over, setting the bag next to him.

I watched him carefully as he dug through the decorative, thin, tissue paper and pulled out the red book that was inside.

I had found the book when I was doing some last minute shopping for Ender and decided to make the book for Ashton since I hadn't found a gift for him yet.

"Open it." I smiled.

He did as I said and opened to the first page where a receipt was carefully glued to the page.

"What's this?" He asked more to himself but began to read it. "Wait, this is our receipt from when we came diving with you."

I nodded and watched him flip to the next page where a movie ticket was displayed.

"And this was from when we saw the ninja turtle movie." He smiled even wider while still staring down at the book.

He turned the next page where another movie ticket was. "And Elf." He chuckled. Flipping to the next one he found it blank, and when he checked the ones after that they were all blank too.

"It's yours to fill. You can put whatever you want in there. I figure it might be easier for when your gone to have something to remember us by." I smiled softly.

"I love this. It's so thoughtful and creative...thank you." Ashton leaned over so he could wrap an arm around my shoulders and pull me closer to him, he kissed my cheek twice and Ender gagged but I chose to ignore it.

"Now it's time for your gifts from me!" Ashton said excitedly and reached for two bags from behind the sofa that I didn't see before.

He handed one bag to Ender and the other to me.

Ender tore into his before I even had the chance to touch mine.

"Movie passes!" Ender exclaimed.

"Oh let me see!" I giggled and reached for them. "One year movie pass?!"

I looked to Ashton with wide but excited eyes.

"Sweet!" Ender smiled happily.

"Now you can go whenever you want." Ash smiled and then reached out to ruffle Enders hair. "Open yours, babe." He leaned into me, bumping my cheek with his nose.

I felt giddy inside as I felt inside the bag and my hand wrapped around something cool and hard.

I pulled it out and gasped.

In my hand was something I never thought I'd see again. The little scallop shell jewellery box.

"Open it." He nudged me again and I bit my lip as I lifted the lid to reveal a delicate silver chain. Attached to the chain was a seashell charm, the silver gleaming in the light.

"It's so pretty." I said softly.

"I saw you staring at the box that day so I went back later to get it. And why not give you something to put in it as well." He beamed.

"I love it, thank you." I kissed his cheek back.

"Here let me put it on you."

Ashton took the necklace and I turned my back to him as I felt him drape the chain around my neck and then clasp it in the back.

I touched my neck where the necklace now rested.

"Now you have something to remind you of me when I'm gone." His dimples showed as he smiled.

Next to us Ender was admiring his new toys while Ash and I were still revelling in our happiness.

If there was one moment I should choose to stay in forever, it would be this one.

--

I know this chapter is short, it's supposed to be, but the next one will be back to normal length I promise haha unless you guys like the shorter chapters??? let me know! make sure to vote and comment if you like (: much love xx -m