Chapter 77

When I awoke in the morning the house was silent.

My eyes were a little puffy from my crying last night, and I stood up to stretch my sore muscles from the awkward position I had fallen asleep in on the sofa.

Quietly I walked up stairs and paused when I reached the top step, my body leaning against the wall.

Through Ender's open bedroom door I could see both him and Ashton passed out asleep. Ashton was on his back with Ender's head on his chest, Ashton's arm around the little boys shoulders.

A soft smile came to my lips at this.

I continued to the bathroom and then to my bedroom where Gracie had spent the night alone in my room, and woke up when I started to change clothes.

I finished sliding a black tank top on and jean shorts before going over to pick her up like she wanted.

Downstairs I set her on the counter, giving her a kiss before having her help me start making pancakes.

I was taking a sip of my coffee when Gracie gasped.

"Daddy!" She said with wide eyes and a pretty smile and I turned to see both Ashton and Ender coming down the stairs.

When my eyes met Ender's I turned back to look at Gracie.

Hands soon found themselves at my hips and Ashton pressed his lips to the corner of my mouth.

"Good morning love." He said.

"G'morning." I said back quietly.

"Daddy." Gracie smiled up at Ashton and he leaned over me to give her a little kiss as well.

"Hey sweetheart." He smiled at her.

He moved away to get his coffee and I went to put the batter next to the pan so I could make the pancakes.

"Car?" Ender's voice came out soft and slightly scared.

"Yes?" I asked, keeping my eyes down.

"I'm sorry for running away, and for yelling at you. I shouldn't have said those things to you and I'm sorry for hurting your feelings." He apologised and I looked up at him, letting out a sigh and dropping my tense shoulders.

"You do know how much I love you right?" I asked him with watery eyes.

"I know." He nodded and then came over to hug me.

"Don't you ever run away like that again, do you understand me?" I held him tightly.

"Yes ma'am." He said and I squeezed him once more before letting him go.

"I love you Car."

"I love you too." I said as he hugged my waist again.

I glanced up to see Ashton smiling at us from where he sat at the bar and I mouthed a thank you to him.

Everything was back to normal.