Chapter 34

Ashton's PoV:

This was the part I hated the most.

The look in Carters eyes as I hugged Ender goodbye and then moved to do the same to her about broke my heart.

Her eyes, the beautiful grey they were, always seemed to get a bit darker, though she never cried which I was extremely thankful for because I knew if she cried I would lose all of my resolve and never leave Haven Harbour.

My arms wound around her back as I pulled her into me, getting her as close to me as possible.

"I'll see you in two weeks." She said as she hugged me back.

"I can't wait." I breathed into her ear, my cheek pressed against her hair.

My hands moved to fit around her small waist and I was sure If I tried I could wrap both hands around it and my fingers would overlap, but I had annoyingly long fingers and I knew that wasn't fair.

Not wanting to let her go just quite yet, I leaned down and fitted my lips against hers. As always they tasted like her honey chapstick that I had bought a tube for myself to use whenever I was gone so I never forgot the taste of her lips.

She was becoming quite the expert on kissing as the moved her lips professionally between mine, it was practically sinful.

I wished I could go farther with the kiss but Ender was still in the room and I didn't have much time, I had to catch the ferry in twenty minutes.

"Call me when you get there." She smiled sweetly up at me, her hand on the side of my face.

"I will." I gazed down happily at her, completely mesmerised by her as always.

"Okay." She lowered her eyes from mine to my lips and looked back up at me through her eyelashes, not quite smiling but her lips were parted and I could see the bottom of her top teeth against the light pink of her lips. She was incredibly sexy and had absolutely no idea.

Reaching up on her tiptoes she pressed her lips to mine once more before stepping back.

Still grinning, I grabbed the handle of my bag and unfortunately began to walk to the door.

"I'll see you guys in two weeks!" I called out to them as I exited the front door. Ender yelled goodbye to me and I turned back to give him a wave before I was unfortunately walking away from them and back into reality.

I felt like throwing up as I drove away from the house and to the ferry; leaving them making me nauseous.

Once I was settled into the ferry I sat in my car with the engine off, staring out the window.

A lot had changed for me in the past several months and the Chases' were definitely the main reason for that.

Ender had become like a little brother to me; someone I felt I needed to protect, but I also felt like I almost had this paternal instinct when I was around him to be this role model and care for him like a father would. I loved him like he was my own child or sibling.

Carter was like a whole new world for me. She was so innocent and sweet and caring and just perfect for me in absolutely every way I could possibly imagine. In the relatively short time I had known her she had instantly captured my heart and I knew I was in love with her.

Michael knew I was in love with her, Luke knew I was in love with her, Calum knew I was in love with her, my mum knew I was in love with her; honestly I wouldn't be surprised if she knew it herself. Even her friends knew, but I had made Ari swear to me that she wouldn't say anything after she had jumped up and down squealing like a kid on Christmas morning, more like Ender on Christmas morning. She had guessed it after I had shown up to Enders party yesterday and had pulled me aside while Carter was chatting with a couple of the moms.