Chapter 17

I could hear the scraping noise of the electric blue wheels of Ender's skateboard against the concrete as I flipped a piece of scorching toast.

Ender had said he wanted to get some practice in before Ashton got back so that he could show him some new tricks.

Being the substitute parental unit I was, I made him promise nothing too dangerous so that he wouldn't damage his arm further and he had to wear a helmet at all times. That earned me a scoff and an eye roll from the ten year old drama king but I just ignored it.

"Bro, foods ready!"I called out to him and the noises eventually came to a halt and he bounded inside, his lightly freckled cheeks pink.

"Car, did you have to burn the toast?" He sassed as he perched himself on the barstool.

"Oh my god, Ender , I swear I'm about two seconds from drop kicking you, broken arm or not." I threw back with just as much attitude.

"Someone's cranky." He mumbled but took a bite of his "burnt" toast anyways.

"Since you are being a brat this morning, you can wash the dishes and after that you can dust all of the shelves in the shop and mop the shop and house." I crossed my arms assertively.

"But Car, there's like a hundred shelves and the mop takes hours on the house." He whined.

"Should've thought of that before you acted like a spoiled child. And you still have to man the desk so better get to it." I took one last bite of my toast and then swept out of the house, leaving a whining Ender behind me.

--

By the time lunch had rolled around, Ash had sent me a text saying he was on his way to the port where the boat left from.

Ender had finally stopped complaining and cleaned without a sound. His little shoulders drooped as he pushed the broom around.

It was hard to watch him like that. As his sister I wanted to hug him and tell him that he needs to apologise and that he needs to think about his attitude and why he's acting that way; but as his makeshift mother I had to be assertive and firm and teach him a lesson.

Trying to take care of two roles in a persons life is difficult, at times it's almost as if I had a split personality. There was the funny, joking and loveable sister side and then the protective, paternal, authoritative motherly side.

I had to be both.

I had just finished eating my lunch of cucumbers and cream cheese sandwiches when I heard his small voice speak to me from the other side of the room.

"Car?" He squeaked out.

"Yea bud?" I asked as I threw my trash away then turned around to face him.

"I'm sorry for being a brat this morning..." He bit his lip, "I don't know why I was doing it but I didn't mean to make you mad and I'm really sorry."

His tiny lip quivered and I felt my heart reach for him. He may be mentally mature for his age but he was still a little boy.

"I know bud, come here." I opened my arms and he walked into them, burying his head against my chest.

"I'm not mad." I soothed his hair as I held him. "I just had to show you that your words have consequences. It's okay for us to joke and play around but you have to make sure you don't take it too far, okay babe?"

"Okay." He nodded against me.

"Now, if you promise me that you will watch your attitude, I'll help you finish up your chores. That sound good?"