Chapter 45

My body slowly stirred as I woke up, shifting under the weight of something. Creaking my eyes open I saw Gracie asleep on top of me. I carefully moved her off and put her on the cushions so I could stand up and stretch.

The clock on the microwave in the kitchen said 5:30 and I yawned before making my way upstairs to the bathroom.

I had stayed in the living room with Gracie last night after she had cried herself to sleep. It didn't feel right to leave her and I had laid down on the sofa, so tired that I immediately dozed off.

Walking past my bedroom I saw Ashton who was fast asleep, his arm outstretched over my side of the bed. Slipping inside my room I started to change into my clothes for the day which included my typical shorts and tee shirt.

"It's not nice to tease you know." I heard Ashton's husky morning voice from behind me and I turned around in only my shorts and a bra.

"It's not nice to eavesdrop on people changing their clothes." I commented back and he gave me a sleepy smile.

"I woke up at like two a.m. and you weren't here." He said as he sat up.

"Yeah, I heard Gracie crying last night and it didn't feel right to leave her down there by herself." I pulled my shirt over my head.

Ashton slowly got out of bed and stretched his back.

"I'll start the coffee pot." I walked by him and leaned up on my tippy toes to press a kiss to his jaw.

"I'll start getting ready." He kissed my forehead back and I left the room.

Just the smell of the morning coffee improved my mood and helped to wake me up. School mornings were the worst. I turned around to grab a coffee cup from the counter and saw Gracie starting to get up.

"Hey, love." I smiled at her.

She yawned and slowly made her way towards me, reaching up her arms for me to pick her up.

"Do you feel better?" I asked her softly as I swayed her on my hip.

She nodded and then leaned her head down to rest it on my shoulder.

"Tired?" I chuckled and she moved her thumb up to her mouth. Using one hand I poured myself a cup of coffee and walked around the kitchen in circles, Gracie half asleep on my shoulder.

Ashton walked down a few minutes later and laughed quietly at Gracie's state of slumber.

"Still think she doesn't like you?" He whispered and took out his phone to take a picture of the two of us.

"I need to wake up Ender soon." I nodded towards the stairs and Gracie slowly lifted her head.

"Do you wanna help wake Ender up, Gracie?" Ashton asked over my shoulder and she nodded her little head.

I set her on the ground and took her hand and we ended up waking Ender by tickling him to which Gracie found hilarious.

The rest of the morning was spent rushing to get both of them dressed, fed, and Ender packed and ready for school.

"Okay we need to be there in twenty minutes lets go!" I ushered everyone out the door and to the jeep.

Ashton buckled Gracie into her car seat quickly and we drove off to the school, dropping off Ender. All of his friends came up to the car to meet the new addition to our family and so did their moms, ooooing and awwwing over the little cutie, most of them offering to babysit her if I ever needed.

When we got back to the house, I had work to do so I brought out the Olaf, rabbit, and Bear into the shop so Gracie could have something to play with. Ashton said he had a little work to do inside so he was in the house on his laptop while I began to get ready to paint the outside of the shop.