Chapter 36

Ashton's PoV:

Of all of the times I've had to leave Carter, this by far was the worst. It didn't feel right to leave her after everything that had happened this week but I really had no choice.

After she had been checked out of the hospital, Ari and Jason had bid their goodbyes and went to Jason's parents house in Sydney.

My mum had gone to get the car and I helped Carter and and Ender in, Michael joining my mum in the passenger seat while I sat with them in the back, before we took off back to my place.

By the time we had arrived home, Carter had passed out from the adrenaline of the day, her head resting on my shoulder.

Carefully I unbuckled her seatbelt and manoeuvred her out of the back seat, carrying her inside. I gently laid her on the bed and went back to grab my bag and Ender's back pack.

I knew Ender would want to stay with Carter and I tonight, so Michael took the guest room and I sent Ender to go change into his pyjamas while I went to say goodbye to my mom since I would be gone before she woke up tomorrow.

As I was walking back to my room the bathroom door opened.

"Did you brush your teeth?" I asked as Ender emerged from the bathroom.

"Oops." He said and ran back in, making me laugh quietly.

"I think you'd be a good dad to him." I heard someone say and turned to see Michael standing in the doorway of the guest room.

"What?" I asked.

"You're like a father figure to him, and it's nice to see him look up to you like he would a dad." Michael shrugged.

"Thanks." I said, not knowing how to reply.

Ender came scrambling out of the bathroom and we said goodnight to Michael before heading to my room where Carter was still asleep exactly like I'd left her.

As I laid down on my side, Ender crawled in between us, cuddling up to Carter.

"Ashton?" He whispered after I had turned off the lamp and had settled into a comfortable position.

"Yea, bud?" I whispered back.

"I know it might not seem like it, but Carter was really happy you were there."

"Why do you say that?" I quirked an eye brow.

"Because she's my sister, I just know. She gets really mad when she's scared, so she didn't mean to make you mad too." He looked up at me.

"I wasn't mad at her," I smiled slightly, "I was scared and worried too."

He nodded quickly.

"Oh, and she told you not to come see her because she said she didn't want you to feel ob...obigated?"

"Obligated." I winked.

"Yeah, that word." He cracked a grin.

"Thanks for telling me that, End. Now get some sleep." I reached out to ruffle his hair and he turned over to that he was facing Car.

I moved so that I was laying flat on my back, staring up at the ceiling.

Carter always made it seem like she didn't want me to feel obligated to do something for her; like taking care of Ender, or help her out, or do something special for her, or even come visit her when she could have possibly cracked her skull open.

I didn't know what else to do to make her believe that I actually wanted to do those things for her. I wanted to be there for her and Ender because I loved them.