Chapter 9

I shot up out of the bed like a bullet. The room was dark and my eyes took a few seconds to adjust before I could see, and when my vision cleared I wished I couldn't because the images in front of my eyes horrified me.

Shards of glass were covering my bed, my skin, my clothes and most importantly the boy on the floor.

"END!" I screeched and jumped down, ignoring the stinging in my legs and arms as the glass scratched me.

"Nnnnnnngh." A long whine escaped Ender's mouth and I could see tears in his eyes.

"Baby come here." I sat him up and he cried out when I grabbed his arm.

Immediately loosening my grip I gingerly held up his arm. It was bowed inwards and I automatically knew it was broken.

"It's gonna be okay baby, shh." I brushed some glass off of his face and clothes before carefully picking him up and carrying him down the stairs.

The storm still ragged on outside and I shook as a clap of thunder cracked in the sky.

Once I reached the couch I set Ender down and bolted into the kitchen grabbing a dish towel from a drawer and sticking my hands under the ice machine letting the freezing cubes fall into my shaking hands before wrapping them up. I rushed back over to Ender and lightly held the ice pack to his arm.

Tears streamed down his cheeks and his lip quivered but I could see he was unsuccessfully trying to keep himself from crying.

"It's okay, you can cry." I soothed him, petting his head and letting him calm down.

When he was calm enough I removed the ice pack and began to inspect his arm.

"Tell me where it hurts." I said calmly and he pointed to just above his wrist, I could already see the dark shadow of a bruise staring to form.

Suddenly a smack of thunder echoed around us and the front door smashed in, sharp fragments of glass flying everywhere.

I screamed as they projected towards us and tried to cover us both up with my body.

"Carter!" Ender screamed and I tried to hold him as close to me without hurting him.

I looked up and my heart broke at his petrified face. But I couldn't freak out, I had to take care of him and make sure he was okay first, if he saw I was scared then he would panic even worse.

"Hey, let's go into the laundry room okay." I picked him up again, wrapping his legs around my right hip and carried him into the laundry room. There were no windows or glass doors in there so I knew it would be a safe spot.

I set him down on the floor and ran back to get his ice pack.

"Okay, I need you to hold this against your arm where it hurts okay? I'm going to go get some things. Stay here." I kissed him on the forehead once before running back into the kitchen.

A notepad with a list of important numbers was on the refrigerator and I ripped it off the door and dashed upstairs like my life depended on it.

When I reached my room I ran in but the glass on the floor slipped underneath my foot and I fell, crashing down onto the glass toothed floor.

I cried out slightly at the pain in my knees and elbows. I grunted as I forced myself up and yanked my phone off the charger. Taking a slightly slower sprint across my floor I hurried downstairs.

As I unlocked my phone I noticed a text from Ash but ignored it, dialing the number for our pediatrician instead.

The phone rang a few times before a grumbly and sleepy voice answered the phone.