Chapter 19

"Knock knock." I said as I opened the door and entered the kitchen, tugging Ashton behind me.

"Carter!"Ari's shrill squeal pierced the room as she jogged towards me, wrapping me in a tight hug.

I let go of Ashton's hand so I could hug her back.

She was wearing a sleeveless Crimson dress that hit the top of her knees and a matching pair of heels. Her short hair had a few more blonde highlights and was curled slightly.

"Hey look who's here!" A jubilant male voice exclaimed and I looked up to see Jason walk into the room.

Jason had always been very handsome. His light brown hair was always perfectly styled and gelled to perfection. His eyes were a crisp green and his skin was less tan than the rest of ours because he wore suits practically everywhere.

Tonight he was more casual in a light green button down that matched his eyes tucked into khaki slacks and brown dress shoes.

"Jason!" I smiled and went over to give him a hug. His grip was strong and he swayed me awkwardly to the side as he hugged me.

I stepped back from his embrace.

"So Ari you've met Ashton." I re-introduced them.

"Yes, hi!" Ari grinned and gave Ashton a hug.

"Hi!" Ashton laughed, slightly confused as to why she was hugging him but went along with it.

Jason held out his hand after Ari's hug so he could shake Ashton's firmly.

"Jason. Nice to meet you." He introduced himself.

"Ashton. Nice to meet you too." Ashton gave his most charming smile.

I stepped back so my left shoulder was in front of Ashton's right shoulder and he put a reassuring hand on my back.

"Smells good in here Ar, what did you buy?" I smirked and she rolled her brown eyes and swatted at my arm playfully.

"Shut up! And for your information it's pork chops and vegetables."

"Yeah, Ari can't cook unless it's spaghetti and even then I cook half of it." I laughed and everyone joined in.

"Hey I do a damn good job!" Ari defended herself with a grin plastered on her face.

"Yes you do." I assured her.

"Alright well, Car come help me get the food and the guys can go sit at the table." Ari instructed, and clapped her hands like a teacher.

"Yes ma'am." Jason chuckled and led Ashton to the dining room.

Ari and I both grabbed trays from the counter and brought them into the dining room. Plates, flatware and glasses were already placed to perfection on the table

I took two glasses in my hands so I could make the drinks.

"Ash, what do you want to drink?" I asked sweetly.

"Oh, waters fine." He smiled politely.

I went and got our drinks while Ari did the same for her and Jason, and then went back to the table to sit.

Ari had set one end of the long rectangular table into a half circle. She sat at the head of the table (which I mentally deemed appropriate) and Jason sat on the other side of her. Ashton and I sat opposite from Jason, me closest to Ari.

"So Ashton, when did you get back to town?" Ari asked as she began to fill her own plate.

"Yesterday evening." Ashton answered.