Chapter 50

"Carter."

The words were whispered into my ear and I whined at the intrusion of my sleep.

"Babe, wake up." The voice said again, this time much louder and I shifted in my slumber, coming into consciousness.

My eyes opened up slowly to see Ashton's hazel eyes baring down onto mine with an elated light.

"Happy Birthday." He smiled and I looked at him confused.

"What?" I asked, my voice cracking.

"It's April 15th, it's your birthday." He said and I lifted my head off the pillow.

I had forgotten my own birthday. The ultimate irony.

Being focused on absolutely everything but my own self I had forgotten about my birthday.

"Oh."I said and blinked heavily.

"Did you seriously forget your own birthday?" He asked me in disbelief.

"I guess so." I laughed lightly and sat up.

Cracking up at my forgetfulness we both got out of bed. Well technically I did because he was sitting on the comforter while I was curled up under the blankets.

Ashton was already dressed so I assumed he had already been awake for awhile.

Throwing on some sweatpants and putting my hair up in a pony tail, we walked into the living room where Gracie, Ender and Ann were all sitting at the kitchen counter.

"Mommy!" Gracie said loudly and reached out for me to pick her up. "It's your birthday!"

"I know!" I grinned at her, my voice higher like always whenever I spoke to her and she beamed radiantly.

"Happy Birthday, Car." Ender walked up and wrapped his arms around my middle, giving me a hug.

"Thanks, End." I smiled down at him.

"I'm sorry I didn't get you anything." He frowned.

"That's okay, I still love you I guess." I teased him and he stuck his tongue out at me in retaliation.

Ann came and gave me a hug telling me happy birthday as well and handed me a cup of coffee.

"Thanks guys." I smiled as I took a seat at the bar.

"So what do you want to do today?" Ann asked me. "It is your special day after all."

"Uh, I don't know, I hadn't really thought about it I guess." I said and took a sip of my coffee.

"Well, how about after we get ready we figure something out." Ashton suggested and I nodded in agreement.

Ann made us breakfast and handed me a plate of pancakes with a smiley face made of whipped cream, which had me laughing, and Ashton of course had to take a picture of the moment.

After breakfast I got dressed and ready for the day, even though I didn't know what we were going do.

I had a lot of energy though from sleeping in late and wanted to spend some time with Ender.