Chapter 66

"Ender, move your shoes please." I said to my brother who was sitting at the bar eating his breakfast while I was scrambling around the house and tripping over the things he left on the floor.

"Okay." He said and continued shovelling cereal into his mouth.

This morning I had woken up in Ashton's arms again, extremely happy that he was back home with me even though he'd only been gone one day.

Gracie and Ender were excited as well, both giving him large hugs this morning when they woke up, everything going back to normal.

Today was the day that I had my first trial coaching practice with the varsity boys football team and I was extremely anxious about it so my emotions were a bit heightened.

Ashton was occupying Gracie by looking through the bags of gifts that Ann had got for the kids which was super sweet of her to do, and I was trying to get myself ready for the day as well.

I had a laundry basket in my hands, scouring the house for dirty clothes to start washing and tripped over Ender's damn shoes again.

"Ender. Shoes." I reminded him and he gave me a thumbs up before looking back at his game that he was now playing.

I started laundry and Ender went upstairs to get dressed while I started packing my own duffel to take with me to practice.

On my way to go get my cleats I tripped over his stupid shoes for the third time, almost falling but catching myself on the wall.

"Ender! How many times do I have to tell you to pick up your shoes before you actually do it?!" I yelled up the stairs, annoyed at him.

Ashton was quickly in front of me, trying to calm me down.

"Hey, it's going to be okay." He told me.

"I'm just so nervous." I bit my lip.

"Tell me why."

"Because I have to be better than them and they think that just because I'm a girl that they don't have to listen to me. And if they don't win their game because of my training then I don't get the job, and I really need this job, Ash." I shifted onto one foot and held onto my arm with my hand, something I did when I was anxious.

"Carter you've got this. You've been practicing all week and you're ready for this. Just don't let them get to you okay?" He reached out to rub my arm.

"Okay." I took a deep breath.

"I'm really proud of you." He leaned in to press a kiss to my forehead.

"Thank you." I said softly and leaned into him, his arms coming around to hold me to him.

"Ugh, I don't want to do this." I whined and his hand came up to the back of my head, the pads of his fingers lightly massaging the bottom of my scalp.

"Well you know, now that we're engaged I get to help with finances so...." He said a smirk evident in his voice.

"Not now." I whined again and he laughed.

"Okay, okay." He kissed the top of my head. "I love you."

"I love you too." I mumbled into his shirt.

"Now go get ready." He squeezed me tightly then let me go. "Ender, come get your shoes please!" Ashton called up the stairs and I mouthed a thank you to him.

Finally Ender did as he was told and I finished getting my stuff together.

Ashton was going to take us to the school and drop both me and Ender off because I wanted to practice some more by myself before the actual practice with the team, then he and Gracie were going to have "Daddy-Daughter day" as Ashton called it, then pick both Ender and I up after the practice.