Chapter 28

"Okay little man, now kick as hard and straight as you can!" Calum's instructions hung clear in the air and Enders little tongue poked out in concentration as he jogged forward and kicked the ball towards the white roped goal a few meters away.

The black and white ball hit the outermost corner of the goal but still made it in.

Cheers of encouragement rang through the back yard as everyone applauded Enders job well done.

"Nice job mate!" Calum high-fived a beaming Ender and set the ball up so he could kick again.

I leaned back against the brick column as I watched the two of them practice. They had only been at it for a couple of hours but I could already see the progress being made and I couldn't deny the proud sister inside of me.

I glanced to my left to see Ashton having what seemed to be a pretty in depth conversation with Michael and Luke. Michael glanced toward me but looked away when we made eye contact.

I thought nothing of it and set down my glass of lemonade and walked towards Calum and Ender.

"Hey End, why don't you take a quick break and get a drink." I suggested and Calum agreed, sending Ender inside.

"You're pretty good at teaching him, thanks again." I smiled.

"Sure no problem! He's fun to teach and he's really improving! He's a fast leaner." Calum complimented him and I felt so happy for Ender.

"Want me to teach you some moves?" Calum suggested.

"Nah, I'm good." I laughed. "Besides, I might be too good for you and I don't want to damage your ego." I added with a smirk.

My dad had taught me to play footie when I was able to walk and I had gotten pretty good at it. I joined the team when I was in high school and made it to varsity. But Ender had gotten older and I had too much to do so I had to quit the team.

"Is that a challenge?" Calum smirked and I shrugged.

"It is if you want it to be."

"Alright." He nodded. "Alright game on."

I laughed as he jumped a few times and pumped himself up. I just stretched to the side and stretched my feet before getting myself into position.

"Don't say I didn't warn you." I smirked and Calum's eyes widened as I swiped the ball in between us with my foot and slid to the side, kicking it behind Calum and into the goal before he even had time to move.

His jaw dropped and his cheeks got red.

"That's not fair! I wasn't ready!" Calum protested and I laughed.

"Fine, I'm a little rusty anyways. Go again?" I offered and Calum nodded yes.

I set the ball back between us and counted down from three.

This time he was ready and kicked the ball behind me and sprinted. I turned quickly and ran to catch up with him and cut in front of him, kicking the ball from under his foot and back towards the goal. I ran to kick it once more to get it in the goal but Calum's foot slammed into the ball just as I reached for it and kicked it away from me.

I huffed in annoyance and circled back to get it. Calum was just one step ahead of me and I knew I couldn't let him win. I pushed off on my feet and bolted around him, causing him to crash into my side. I kicked as hard and to the left as I could. My left foot tangled with his and we both went crashing to the ground on top of each other.