Chapter 25

The sunlight was blinding when we first stepped off the boat and I wished I would've brought my sunglasses as we followed onto the metal ramp that led to the wooden dock which connected to a concrete car lot.

When my eyes finally adjusted to the light I squinted into the crowd so I could find who we would be staying with for the next three days.

Even though I knew Ashton wasn't going to be picking us up, I couldn't help but look for him in the crowd, instead I was met with a bunch of strangers.

I hadn't met Ashton's mum before so I had no idea what she looked like so I stood awkwardly next to Ender as I scanned the sea of people, searching for someone who looked like she could be related to Ashton.

"Carter?" I heard a familiar, feline voice call out to me and I looked in the direction the sound came from to see a blonde woman walking towards us.

"Carter?" She called out again as she got closer and I nodded before Ender and I walked forward to meet her.

"Ann?" I double checked and she grinned widely before rushing forward to take me in a hug. Her arms were soft and warm as she hugged me and she smelled like coconut.

I pulled back and was able to get a good look at her face. She was tan like Ashton and had bleach blonde hair that went to her shoulders and curled at the end. Her eyes were a bright blue and her lips were baby pink.

By the features on her face I could definitely tell she was Ashton's mum.

"It's so lovely to see you in person! And you're so pretty too! Oh!" She pulled me in for another hug and I laughed.

"It's so nice to meet you too! You and Ashton look so much alike." I said as I hugged her back.

"And you must be Ender." She turned to him after we pulled away and he nodded sheepishly at her. She leaned down to his level and gave him a hug as well which he returned.

"Well let's get to the house for dinner, Ash will be home in a couple of hours." She smiled and led us to a black suburban that was parked in the lot. We loaded our luggage into the back and I sat in the passenger seat while Ender sat behind Ann in the backseat.

"So how was the ride over here?" She asked as she pulled out of the lot and onto a big road.

"It was nice, I haven't been on the ferry before." I replied.

"Ash has always said he liked riding the ferry, he said it was a good place to write s- in his journal." She coughed. "Excuse me, I'm just getting over a cold."

"It's alright." I smiled politely.

"So Ender," She glanced at him in the rear view mirror, "Tell me about school. You're in fifth year?"

"Yes ma'am." He answered with a simple filled smile.

He then chatted on about his teachers and the homework and even trying out for the soccer team.

"Yes. Calum set up his goal in our backyard so you two can practice." She beamed and Ender was practically on cloud nine.

I listened to them talk while I stared out the window and the Sydney scenery.