Chapter 72

The next morning when I woke up, my body had finally caught up with my seizures, soreness taking over me.

I whimpered as Ashton helped me out of the bed so I could escape to the bathroom to freshen up.

I went back to the bed and Ashton buzzed the nurse in to see if we could get me a pain pill and she went to go get one when Ann, Ender, and Gracie walked in.

"Hey guys." Ashton smiled at them and Gracie immediately climbed up on the bed and flung herself into my arms.

"Mommy!" She hugged me tightly.

"Morning Gray. How was your night?" I smoothed my hand across her hair, ignoring the ache in my sides.

"Grandma made cookies and played dress up with me!" She smiled and leaned her head back on my chest.

"Aw, that sounds fun. Did you tell her thank you?" I began to caress the little girl behind her ear.

"Thank you Grandma." Gracie turned to beam up at Ann.

"Of course Gracie. I had fun." Ann smiled at her.

Ender walked up to the bed.

"Do you feel better?" He asked me.

"I'm a little sore but I feel okay." I reached out to pat his hand.

The nurse came back in and handed me a cup of water and then a little plastic cup with the pill inside.

"What's that?" Ender asked.

"It's just a pain pill End, don't worry." I assured him before downing the pill.

I glanced up at the clock on the wall and saw that Ender needed to go to school.

"Hey you gotta leave for school bud."

He let out a loud sigh.

"Fine. But you'll be home when I get back?"

"I should be." I squeezed his fingers.

He nodded. "Wait Ashton, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Sure mate." Ashton slid out from beneath me and walked out of the room with Ender.

"What's that about?" Ann asked.

"I have no clue." I replied.

"So I hope you don't mind that I used your kitchen." She said.

"Oh no not at all. You can make yourself at home there." I smiled.

"It's a very pretty house, Ender showed me the boat too. And as your future mother in law I can say this, but it's a nice home for you and Ashton to have a family."

A blush heated up my cheeks at her words.

"Thank you." I laughed nervously.

"I mean it Carter, Ashton loves you so much, Gracie and Ender too, and I know that one day you and him are going to have an even more beautiful family together."

"I think we will too." I smiled and pulled Gracie up so I could hold her better.

A minute later Ender and Ashton came back in, both of them with smiles on their faces.