Chapter 33

When Saturday morning rolled around, the skies were clear and blue, and the air was filled with an excited energy.

I had woken up early and began getting everything ready. Tables were set up outside and I had games pulled out and breakable items put away.

Ari and Jason arrived after I had sent Ender outside to walk Bear, her carrying two bags in her hands while Jason held a long box containing the cake.

"Hi." I greeted them with a big smile and took the cake from Jason before giving him a hug.

"Okay, one of these bags is Ender's present and the other is your mail so where would I put them?" Ari asked as she side stepped into the kitchen.

"Mail can go on the counter, present can go on the table outside." I instructed her and she nodded, rushing off.

"So how are you?" I asked Jason as I opened the fridge and began to shuffle around its contents to make room for the cake.

"Good. Works been busy which is good. How about you?" He replied as he leaned against the counter.

"Great, everything's been going great." I smiled and found a space for the cake.

Ari came back in along with Ender and Bear.

"Ender can you go change clothes for me, please?" I asked as he came in with dirt on his shorts from what must have been a play session with Bear.

"Ugh why?" He groaned.

I opened my mouth to retort but Jason stepped in.

"How about I go help you pick something out?" He suggested and Ender nodded, him and Jason heading upstairs.

"My god." I sighed and shook my head and grabbed for the mail bag.

I flipped through the stack of junk and scam mail until I came onto a bill. Inwardly cringing I began to read, my jaw dropping.

Apparently our mortgage bill had not cleared by the date due and so they had void it, though I had to send in a new mortgage check along with a penalty fee they were charging for too many late payments.

This meant I owed $700.

"Seriously?" I huffed and chucked the bill onto the counter.

I only had around a thousand dollars in our account and that was all our money for the month. If I paid the seven hundred directly from that we would only have three hundred dollars for groceries, necessities, accidents or whatever else.

I inwardly whimpered when I realised I would have to take the money from the savings account I had for my car.

Pushing all of my anger and annoyance out of my mind, I put on a happy, smiling face for Ender's party. This was his day and I wouldn't take my anger with the billing company out on him.

A few minutes later Jason and Ender came down stairs with Ender looking very nice. Jason had got him into a light blue button down and some khaki shorts, the shirt untucked.

"Very handsome." I patted his head as he passed by me and mouthed a thank you to Jason.

Through the open front door I could hear some voices and knew that the first few kids had arrived.

Ender bolted out the door, Bear leaping up from his napping position on the floor and following him, to see who was there.

Following suit I saw Trey and Reid with both of their mothers walking up.

The two boys ran up to Ender and I waved at their moms who both greeted me with loving hugs.