Chapter 32

I shoved my phone in my pocket just as the school bell rang and the flood of children began to pour from the doors.

My eyes scanned the sea of kids until they landed on the mop of brown curls and chubby cheeks of my brother.

He ran over to the bike racks where I was waiting and I gathered him in a hug.

"Happy birthday!" I squealed.

"Thanks!" He grinned.

He snatched his bike and we began to ride off in the direction of the house, but instead of turning left like we normally did, we turned right to go into town.

"Where are we going?" He called out, following behind me.

"You'll see!" I laughed back and directed us to the animal shelter.

The shelter was a small blue building hidden in some trees on the edge of downtown Haven Harbour. I had seen this building hundreds of times but had never been inside until earlier today.

Ender had a look of confusion the entire time we walked up the to door of the building until we walked up to the front desk and the lady smiled at me.

"Hi, we're here to adopt the Australian Shepard, I was here earlier." I smiled and then jumped as Ender yelled next to me.

"WE'RE GETTING A DOG?!" He screamed and grinned so wide it must have hurt.

"Yes!" I laughed. "Happy birthday, End." I leaned down as he hugged me tightly and I kissed his head.

"We're getting a dog! We're getting a dog!" He jumped and bounced up and down causing the receptionist and I to both laugh.

"Let's go see him." I ruffled Ender's hair and bounded down the hallway to the kennels.

We came up to a kennel midway down the hall that held the dog I had chosen, a two year old Australian Shepard that the shelter had found roaming around the streets when he was just a puppy. He weighed around 25 pounds and had the most beautiful blue eyes and black ears with gorgeous patches of brown, copper, and white fur.

I didn't know how he hadn't been adopted yet, but I was happy he was going to be ours.

The worker lady opened the kennel and the dog strolled out, Ender holding out his hand for it to sniff. Once the dog became familiar with his smell he began to lick on his hand causing Ender to squeal with laughter.

"I love him! Thank you, Car!" Ender began to play with the dog, scratching his ears and rubbing on his back, the dog loving every second of it, immediately I could tell they would be best friends.

Ender and the new dog played while I went to sign the paperwork to officially adopt him.

When I had signed off on everything the shelter gave us a leash to use to walk him and we waved goodbye as we left.

"Okay let's go get some stuff from the grocery store and then head home." I smiled at Ender who was still beaming.

Ender hooked the dogs leash around his bike handle and we rode slowly as he jogged alongside us.

In the store I had Ender and the dog wait outside while I ran in to get dog food, a few toys, and a red leather collar.

Outside Ender was crouched down on the pavement, scratching on the dog who was obviously in heaven with all of the attention.

"Have you thought of a name for him yet?" I asked as we rode back home, the dog trailing beside us.

"Not yet." Ender smiled.