145.

•♡•♡•

THE MORNING OF JULY 31ST had broken, bringing forth the coming of age of Harry James Potter

THE MORNING OF JULY 31ST had broken, bringing forth the coming of age of Harry James Potter. The Burrow was once again a hive of activity, filled to the brim with friends and family, altogether to celebrate the long-awaited birthday of one of their own. Though, it was also rather bittersweet in the eyes of a few others. Both Remus and Sirius Lupin-Black – while wanting nothing more than to give an abundance of love and happiness to Harry on his special day – couldn't help but to feel forlorn. They had started the day in sadness, realizing what the day had actually meant. They had unfortunately remembered that they were able to spend the day with Harry, able to see him bubble up in happiness and come of age; and then realized that James and Lily couldn't.

Their friends weren't able to watch their son grow up, to see just how alike he was to them both. And perhaps, it was the same reason that had Remus waking up far too early, rising before the sun and to go rifling through the attic. Boxes stacked upon boxes lined the dusty walls and some were left opened across the ground. Finding the exact box he was looking for – and after taking a silent moment for himself – the tall man hoisted it up into his arms and slowly brought it down to their room. Sirius sat up at the bleary sight of his husband entering their room, a cardboard box in his hold.

"Is that..?" Sirius began to trail off, almost inaudible as his gaze flickered momentarily from the dusty cardboard with 'New House' written on the side to hazel eyes flecked with green.

"Some stuff from the house," Remus nodded once, slowly and calculated, his fingertips slowly trailing the swirling penmanship of Lily Potter along the side of the box, "Dad managed to snag a few things from the..." He swallowed thickly, the lump in his throat growing tenfold, "...the wreckage."

"I couldn't...be there...but he got things he thought important," He explained quietly, "and a couple of things I said I wanted him to save..."

Remus had gingerly pulled opened the jagged tabs atop the box, exposing light to the objects within. Almost immediately, Sirius' hands were diving into the cardboard and pulling forth a brown, slightly dingy blazer – his grey eyes instantly watering as he smushed his nose into the stiff fabric and inhaled deeply. Even with sixteen years gone, he could still smell the highly expensive broom polish James always used, and Lily's sweet, honeycomb perfume from when she would steal her husband's clothes. Perhaps he had imagined it, or maybe it was just Padfoot's really great sense of smell – but by God, did he really hope that it was the latter.

"I was thinking," Remus began softy, tugging out one of few filled photo albums from their later years in Hogwarts, "that maybe we should give Harry a few of these things," He glanced towards the still-silent Sirius, gently placing his hand atop of the one clutching tightly the blazer, "we always said we would...and...and maybe he needs it too. Now, more than ever."