A Shock To The World's Smartest Man.

KIARA

Kovu and I haven't told anyone about our relationship quite yet, we're not really sure how our family will handle it, plus Kovu's kinda in the spotlight thanks to his high I.Q. But honestly, as the daughter of a trillionaire is in the spotlight too, plus, there's the whole thing with my brother.

Kovu slammed closed the file for his newest case. "I work with ignoramus people," he mumbled.

"Huh?" I asked.

"Dumb," Kovu said in more understandable terms, "My new client is hiring me so he can sue his sister for not coming to Thanksgiving dinner, spending all that money when he should simply talk to his sister."

"Man," I said, "People will sue for anything these days."

Kovu tossed the file in the trash. His law firm was so successful that he could pick and chose which cases to take. All because he's the only 23-year old with forty eight doctorates, granted all of them are honorary doctorates that colleges gave him just so he'd show up at their graduation. He gets more everyday, just can't say no. He mumbled a bit about the stupidly human beings can have some times before grabbing another file.

I leaned over Kovu's shoulder. I didn't understand most of this law stuff, but I like spending time with him. Also, he's running a law firm and kinda has to work so it's a great compromise. I'm with him and he's doing work. Not the best relationship, but still a relationship. "What's this one about?" I asked.

"A man ran over a marching band and is trying to claim innocence," Kovu said, "With video, witnesses, and his own taped confession against him. Even I couldn't make him seem innocent." That file soon joined the others Kovu had rejected. "Why people would be willing to spend money on a lawyer for such childish debates is a part of the human nature that is beyond the grasp of logic."

I had to laugh. "Kovu," I said, "The nature of human beings isn't something you have to grasp. You just have to learn to live with it."

Kovu took my hand, "I understand Kiara," he said, "It's just hard for me to not comprehend something at first glance." I really have a thing for smart guys don't I?

A FEW DAYS LATER

I pulled the blankie up to hid my face. "Where's sissy?" I asked my little sisters. I pulled the blankie down. "Here she is!" I pulled the blankie back up again. "Where's sissy?" I think you know what comes next. "Here she is!"

Sarabi and Sarafina giggled at me. It was so close to their first Christmas and I can't wait to give them my presents. I put the blankie aside and scooped them both onto my lap. "You two are adorable," I said, "Can your big sissy tell you two a secret?" The babies said nothing because they're babies. "Sissy's in love with Daddy's cousin Kovu. He's the smartest man in the world. You hear that, he's smart. He's a lawyer."

"Um," I heard Kovu say, "I can explain." 

I turned around. Kovu and my whole family, minus Kion because he's not coming up from Texas until tomorrow, was right behind me. I blushed. I guess everyone knows now.

"Kovu," Mommy said, "If you think that we didn't know, you need to take that I.Q. test again. We knew."

"We've known for a while now," Vatani said, "And finally. You would think that after all those years and your brain, you'd have made her yours years ago."

"Kovu," Daddy said, making Kovu shrink in his wheelchair, "We'll talk." Oh, boy.

KOVU

For some reason, Nuka and Vatani came with me to Cousin Simba's home office. "Why are you two here?" Cousin Simba asked.

Vatani flopped down in an armchair. "Kovu's our little brother, you aren't having this conversation without us."

"What conversation are we having again?" Nuka asked. I can't believe I'm related to these people sometimes.

Cousin Simba sighed and turned to me. "Kovu, I'm just going to say it. I'm okay with you dating Kiara, I'm not happy that it was kept from me, but you're better than a lot of guys out there. Your dad comes to mind." I had to agree with him on that, but his statement on mine and Kiara's relationship left me with a question.

"Then what do we have to talk about?" I asked. Cousin Simba sighed again.

"Kovu, there's no easy way to say this," he groaned, "But your dad is coming for you."

My heart skipped a beat. "What?" I asked, "Why is he coming for me now? It's been years since I last saw him, I was seven then. Why does he feel the need to cast himself back into my life at this time?" No one answered my questions and instead stared at me as if I spoke another language.

"Kovu," Nuka said, "English, not Latin. English." So I was speaking another language.

I took a deep breath to ensure I spoke English. "Why is he coming for me?" I asked.

Cousin Simba could only shrug. "I wish I knew, but he wants his youngest son back."

"You know Kovu," Vatani said, "You could play the adopted card." Unseen by me was Nuka waving his arms for her to stop talking.

"Why would I play the adopted card?" I asked, "It seems highly inappropriate for my use."

Vatani gasped. "Oh, I forgot you don't know."

"Don't know what?" I asked. Vatani and Nuka said nothing and I could tell from his face that Cousin Simba didn't know what they knew either. "Guys," I said, "You know that I'm going to do all I can to find out what you're keeping from me. So save me the time and you the stress by simply telling me what you know."

"You know," Nuka said, "There's a lot you know that we don't, so what's the big deal that we know something you don't?"

I got out my phone. "You're adopted," Vatani blurted out. My phone fell to the floor.

"Okay," Cousin Simba said, "I'm gonna go help Nala with the tree. You guys can figure this out. Someone will get you when dinner's done." And with that, he left.

I was adopted? Wait, are they talking about Mr. and Mrs. Walker? They must. I look so much like my father who's coming to get me that I cannot be anyone's child but his. "If you're talking about the Walkers, I already know I was adopted by them. We all were." I said, thinking that what I said had ended the conversation. I was wrong.

"No Kovu," Nuka said, "When I was thirteen, Mother and Father brought home a little sick baby from the hospital who'd been abandoned by his parents because of his sickness." Nuka was thirteen years older than I, no. "That little baby was you Kovu."

No. No. No! NO!