Amahle's Issues With Americans.

AMAHLE

"Hello," I said in English with my thick accent, "My name is Amahle and I am from Africa. I live with my cousin Rani and her. . ." I trailed off, not remembering the word Rani used for Kion. Something with an f and I believe it rhymes with sea.

"Keep going," Kion told me, "You're doing great."

"And her feanee," I said, hoping I was close, "I am new and I hope we can be friends."

Rani and Kion smiled at me. "Very good," Rani said in my native tongue, "You have made such good progress."

"The zebra's stuck in a hole," Kion said, still learning my language. He doesn't even know what he said.

"Yes Kion," Rani told him, "The zebra is stuck in a hole," Kion went red. "Amahle may have made great progress, but you have not. Slightly better than when you said 'the vultures are holding Senate meetings with crocodiles and hyenas in a volcano with a lion made of flames' instead of whatever you were trying to say."

I held back a laugh. I didn't see such a thing happening. No one would even think of such things.

Kion sighed. "I have no idea how you picked up Swahili so quickly Rani," he said, "Or why I'm struggling so much."

"Am I ready for school now?" I asked. I have been home schooled since coming to America, but Rani thinks that eventually putting me in something called public school would be good for improving my English and making friends. I had watched something called "High School Musical' and can't wait for public school. I hope I don't mess up the songs.

Rani shook her head at me. "Sorry," she said, "But I want to know how you do outside of rehearsed sentences. We need some real life American experience."

"My dad's having a party at work," Kion said, "I'm sure he wouldn't mind Amahle coming along. How's that for real life American experience?"

"Perfect," Rani said, "When's the party?"

"Tuesday," Kion told her.

"The day after Monday and before peanut butter," I said. Kion held back a snicker. "What did I say?"

TUESDAY

AT THE PARTY

I hate the city. It is loud, busy, crazy, and no one speaks Swahili. If I wasn't with Rani and Kion, I'd have run to the first thing that was green. I held both their hands as we walked into the building Mr. King's party is in. I've heard about these 'skyscrapers' before, but buildings that touched the sky seemed impossible. I believe in skyscrapers now. Could I touch the sky on the top of that building?

Inside was bigger than I thought it would be. I hid behind Rani at the sight of the lion painting. I hate lions now, they took Mamma from me. Rani ushered me into a small room surrounded by glass. Kion joined us soon after. He pressed a button on the side and the room started to move upwards. 

I gripped the railing on the side and was close to screaming. Rani put her arms around me. "Calm down Amahle," she said, "It's safe, it's all okay, it's just an elevator. It's okay. Everything's going to be alright."

"We should have taken the stairs," Kion said, "I completely forgot she's never been on an elevator before."

"So did I," Rani said, "It's the garbage disposal all over again. How do I explain elevators to her?" Kion shrugged.

Something dinged and doors opened. I flung Rani's arms off of me and ran off of the contraption called an elevator. I found myself deep in a crowd of people I don't know speaking a language I don't completely know. I had lost Kion and Rani in my panic, so my translators were gone. 

How much English can I need to ask where the King family is? Kion and Rani would find me with Mr. and Mrs. King, the twins, and the elder sooner or later. And Mrs. King knows a few Swahili words, she has a translation app on her phone too.

Speaking a strange language to strangers, what could go wrong?

"Excuse me," I said to the first person I saw. A man with blond hair and eyes like the sky, "Could you tell me where the Kings are?" I'm sure that's all right.

The man tilted his head at me. "Huh?" he asked, "What are you saying little girl?"

"Little girl?" I asked, "I am not a little girl. Where are the Kings?"

"Is that English?" the man asked, "No-oh under-stand-oh. Is this getting through?" It was, but it wasn't helping me at all.  "Jeez, I don't know what to do now."

"Kings," I repeated, "Kings, where? Must find Kings." Surely, he understood that.

"No compredo," the man said to me. I have no idea what that means. I don't think that's English, it has to be some language I've never heard before. "Wait, you probably don't speak Spanish being Black and all. What are you speaking? African? I don't speak African, I can barely speak Spanish."

"Kings!" I cried in frustration, "Must find Kings. Does anyone understand me?" Clearly, the answer was no. Then Kion came running to me. 

"There you are Amahle!" he said, "Rani's been worried sick. Why'd you run off?"

"I've been speaking English and he still doesn't understand me," I complained.

Kion excused us and we found Rani with the Kings. Rani instantly hugged me. I don't think I was ready for public school after all. More time would also help me figure out the musical numbers.