Long Live The Queen.

(WARNING! This chapter contains serious aspects of the circle of life. Younger readers should be with a parent or guardian while reading this. Yeah, I think you all know what's going to happen in this chapter. Also, I have pictures ready but I have no idea how to upload them on here. I've never used this type of computer before)

RANI

Road trip to Maine! My family's meeting Asher. Surak and Nermala aren't too sure about his entire existence, but Grandmother, Ballyo, and Tray can't wait to meet him and Amahle. I'm sure Surak and Nermala will be civil about this.

"Are we there yet?" Asher asked, "I have to go to the bathroom."

"Why didn't you go when we stopped for lunch?" Kion asked.

"I didn't have to go then," Asher told him. I sighed. The road trip sounded more fun when we were planning it and getting ready. But, we're almost there. Then Asher can run around and make as much noise as he wants because we'll be surrounded by woods and Ballyo will play with him no matter what. And then I'm back in the car with him after two weeks. He should be tired out by then, at least a little, right?

I'm rethinking having kids.

"Wait," I told Kion, "Turn here. We almost missed it."

Kion quickly turned down the dirt road my family lived on. "That was close," he said, "How far are we now?"

"We should be just two minutes away," I told him, "We're really close Asher, then you can go to the bathroom."

"Bright lights," Amahle said, pointing ahead of us, "What are the bright lights?" I froze. There was an ambulance parked in front of my family's house.

Kion pulled over across the road. I didn't even wait until the car was off before running out and up to my house. Ballyo sat on the front steps, home from college. "Sis!" he shouted, "You're here!"

"Ballyo," I said, "What's going on? Why is there an ambulance?" Then my question was answered. E.M.T.s came out, carrying Grandmother on a stretcher. "Grandmother!" I shouted. Grandmother didn't even look like she heard me.

Surak was at her side. "Ballyo," he said, not even seeing me, "Wait for Rani to get here and then follow us to the hospital." He was in the ambulance before I could tell him I was here. The ambulance sped off towards the hospital, taking a large part of my family with it.

Little Tray came out of the house. "Cousin Rani!" he said, rushing to me, "Grandmother had a heart attack." So that's what happened.

We could not get to the hospital soon enough. Why did every single light have to turn red the moment we drove up? And the bridge was closed so we had to take a detour which added a whole ten minutes to our ride. Asher and Amahle still didn't know what was going on, Kion had very little idea what was going on, but he knew enough to follow Ballyo and Tray in Surak's off-duty car.

Nermala had already taken Grandmother into surgery when we got there. The only way Grandmother could survive was with a new heart. All this happened while I was going crazy because of Asher.

Surak held me in his arms as we waited. Kion drove Asher and Amahle back to the house. Ballyo held Tray on his lap and we waited.

And waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited.

Tray fell asleep on Ballyo's lap. The sun went down, Kion was back, leaving Amahle in charge and Asher asleep. Then Nermala finally came out.

She looked exhausted. "I did my best," she said, "but she's very weak. We couldn't get a new heart on such short notice, so we're keeping an eye on her. She should be stable until we can get one. She's awake now. Hi Rani," she said, seeing me, "It looks like you picked the wrong day to come."

I took Kion's hand as we entered Grandmother's room. "It's going to be okay Rani," he told me. I really hope he's right.

Grandmother looked so much like her mother that one time I saw her. She just looked so old. At least she seemed aware of what was going on around her. "Grandmother?" I asked.

Grandmother turned to me. "Rani," she said smiling. Her life support that keeps track of her heart beat beeped rhythmic. "It's so good to see you again. Is Kion with you as well?"

"I'm here Mrs. Queen," Kion said, "Right besides Rani."

"I'm glad Rani has someone to take care of her," Grandmother said, "And I'm very glad it's you. I know you'll protect her."

Kion put on a smile. "Thank you," he said. He turned to me. "I didn't know what else to say," he whispered to me.

"Nermala," Grandmother said, taking Nermala's hand, "You are the best doctor and the best daughter-in-law I could ever ask for. Never lost a patient yet. I'm very proud of you and glad you joined our family all those years ago."

"Me too," Nermala said.

"Surak," Grandmother said.

"Mom," Surak told her, taking her free hand.

"Our big strong man of the house," Grandmother said, "The only child of my love. Promise me you'll make your father proud."

"Mom," Surak said, "You're making it sound like. . ." Surak didn't finish his sentence.

"Ballyo," Grandmother said after realizing that Surak wasn't finishing that thought, "My sweet boy, I know you'll take the world by storm. Could you hand me Tray?"

Tray was still half asleep when Ballyo handed him over to Grandmother. Grandmother ran her fingers through his blond hair. Tray looked up at her with sleepy eyes. "My littlest grandson, so much like your Papa. You should be very proud to look like him." Grandmother handed him to Nermala, then turned to me.

I've been scared of this moment. "Rani," Grandmother said, "I love you so much. You won't be alone. All of our family will be there with you, and Kion will never leave you."

"Grandmother," I said, "Don't talk like that. You're going to be okay." The tears rose. "You have to be okay." I whipped the tears away. "You're okay." A long steady beep of her life support interrupted me.

The room was cacaos for the next half hour, but it didn't feel like half an hour to me. I felt like a few seconds, but it also felt like hours, both at the same time. Nermala tried to get Grandmother's heart beating again, but nothing. Kion pulled me into his arms. "Rani," he said, "I'm so sorry."

"Thank you Kion," I softly cried into his shoulder.