In The Woods.

(I finally have pictures! One of my readers asked for pictures of how Kion, Rani, Janja, and Jasiri look in my world. I threw in Asher, Amahle, and Janna for free. If you'd like to see how your favorite character looks, tell me in the comments. Also, expect me to take time to draw them)

KION

So, Rani just came to her family's home just in time for her grandmother to die. That's a great vacation, it's clear I'm being sarcastic when saying that right?

Rani sat alone in the woods surrounding her family's house. She's been spending a lot of time alone these past few days. Her grandmother really was close to her. I remember when my grandmother died, it's shocking being in the same room with a dying loved one and being able to do nothing to stop it. I didn't even know Grandma was dying, until she was dead that is.

I walked over to Rani and sat down next to her. "Are you alright?" I asked, at lost for what else to say.

"I will be," Rani sighed, "I guess I thought I'd have more time with her. To learn from her, to have her show me all sorts of new things, to hear her stories. I never even got to tell her I met my biological grandfather and got revenge for her."

"So that's why you calmed down after he was fired," I said, "I wondered why you acted that way. I would have thought you would still be upset after that."

"I just got even with him for what he did on my mother's eighteen birthday," Rani said.

"What happened then?" I asked.

Rani chuckled. "My biological grandfather crashed her party and demanded that my mother pay him for fathering her. Surak tried to kick him out, but he was five at the time and instead got knocked into a china cabinet and nearly died." I winced at the thought of china nearly killing a young Surak. That would have ruined the party. "But my real grandfather, the one who took care of Mom and Grandmother, he came in, saved Surak's life, and chased my biological grandfather away."

"Surak's his son, right?" I asked, remembering what Mrs. Queen called him.

Rani nodded. "But she never favored Surak over my mom because of who his dad was. Both of her children were loved equally, even though one of their fathers was a horrible monster and the other was her savior."

I put my arm around Rani. She lay her head on my shoulder and snuggled close to me. "I'm really gonna miss her," Rani sighed, "I was so looking forward to her being at our wedding."

"Yeah," I said, "Not many grandmothers have lived to see their grandchildren get married. But we're really lucky Rani. We got here in time for you to say goodbye. If we hadn't come, you would have been in another state when she died and the last time you guys saw each other face to face was months ago."

"You have a point there Kion," Rani said, "Would you do me a favor?"

"Sure Rani," I told her, "Anything you want."

"Please don't move," Rani told me, "I'm gonna cry again."

I pulled her closer to me. "I wouldn't even think of moving," I said.