Adjusting.

SIMBA

I used to dream about my dad as a child. He would be kind, strong, and basically be perfect. Then I found out he was dead, much later, I found out he was in a coma for 33 years. I'm too old to still think that my dad would be the perfect dad, but I didn't think he would be like he is now.

Dad has dementia as well as brain damage and a handful of other things as a result. Paralyzed from the stomach down, Dad doesn't remember where he is half the time. 

Also, he calls me Taka no matter how many times I correct him. I love him and I knew this would be hard, but Dad's trying. 

Nala held a cup of coffee under my nose. "Simba," she said, "You're petting a dog that walked away five minutes ago. What's wrong?" I looked to where I thought our dog Cirrus was, he was gone and I had been petting Sara. I blushed.

Nala sat down next to me and gave me the coffee. "Let me guess," she said, "Your dad called you Taka again? You know that his dementia will only let him remember the earlier parts of his life. It's only natural that he calls you Taka, he took care of his little brother Taka all his childhood."

"But Taka almost killed him," I said, "Dad doesn't know, of course. But I can't get it out of my head. Dad's calling me by his murderer's name, or almost murderer." I sighed. "I never expected him to be like this."

"Hm," Nala said, "Sort of like how your mother didn't expect you to survive that night when you were five?" she asked. She had a point.

I sighed. "Nala," I told her, "I just never expected this. Mom didn't expect me to survive, we all didn't expect Taka to betray us all, and I never expected Dad to still alive."

Nala lay her head on my shoulder. "I know," she said, "But life throws us those crazy curves from time to time. We're really lucky Simba. We have five wonderful children, a successful business, a large house, and each other. Your dad still being alive is really lucky. For him and us. Our baby girls have a grandpa now, and he loves them."

I had to admit that was true. Sarabi and Sarafina were the only ones whose names Dad remembered, though he got them mixed up. We all did that though. I pulled Sara onto my lap. She had fallen asleep while I was petting her. The twins had developed strawberry blond hair that shone red in the sunlight and they both had my brown eyes, which were also my dad's eyes. I smiled. "Dad really is trying, I think. Dementia makes it hard to tell."

"Who knows if he's trying or not?" Nala said, "He's an old man who slept for 33 years. The point is, he does love you and all of our kiddos."

Sara began to stir in my arms. Her eyes opened and she smiled. "Dada," she said, "Want huggie! Want huggie!"

I gave her a hug like she asked. "Want Gwampa huggie!" Sara cried. 

"Alright," I told her, "Let's find Grandpa so you can hug him. Say bye bye to Mommy."

"Bye bye Mommy!" Sara cheered. Nala waved goodbye as we climbed the stairs to Dad's room.

Dad was staring at a picture book of Kopa, Kiara, and Kion growing up when I came in. "Dad?" I asked, "Someone wants a hug from you."

Dad held out his arms for Sara. They shook, arthritis had set in, but he still took little Sara and held her close. "Are my hugs better than your dad's hugs little one?" he asked.

Sara wasted no time in nodded. "Ouch," I said, "I thought my hugs were pretty good."

Dad laughed, his laugh was the only thing that hadn't changed since I was five. "Well Taka," he said, "You never know what others think of you. Fina here thinks you're a bad hugger."

"Am Sara!" Sara shouted.

I sat in the chair by his bedside. "Dad," I said, "I already told you, my name's not Taka. I'm Simba." 

"Then who's Taka?" Dad asked.

"Your little brother," I told him. He had never asked who Taka was before. How would he take it? Maybe I should tell only a part truth. "He's unable to come to you at the moment, but he'll come as soon as he can. In the meantime, you have his children. Nuka, Vatani, and Kovu were here just the other day."

"Who?" Dad asked.

"The three people you met the day before yesterday," I reminded, "They brought you cards and balloons. Sara and Fina popped the balloons. Vatani brought you cookies, which Sara and Fina fed to the dogs. Anything ringing a bell?"

"I don't hear a bell," Dad said. I had to laugh at that. 

"It's alright if you don't remember them right now," I said, "You'll get better soon." No clue if I'm lying or not, I'm hoping for the best. What could go wrong?

I'm trying not to think about what could go wrong.

SARABI

"I don't understand," I said, "Why was Muffy sent back to earth? He's dead."

Grandfather sighed. "How am I suppose to know? I'm dead too. This is what happened, Muffy was sent back to earth and given another chance. He's now dealing with a lot of things."

Muffy's mother, Mrs. King, sighed as she watched her oldest son. Muffy had aged so much, but I could still see the man I fell in love with. "He has unfinished business," Mrs. King said, "The angels told me. He's suppose to face my dear Taka and only one of them will walk away."

I don't know what I want to happen. Do I want Muffy to win that face off and live some more or do I want him back up here with me. My heart's playing tug-of-war right now and there's no end in sight. How am I supposed to handle this? This shouldn't even be able to happen! Muffy was raised from the dead! I would faint if I wasn't dead.