Brother And Sister Learn To Get Along.

KOPA

Hannah's so much easier to handle now. Sure, she's still in big trouble and no public school will take her with her record, but we don't talk about that and she's getting lessons online. Her grades have improved, the police have stopped checking up on us every day, and she doesn't spend so much time in her room.

One thing that bugs me is why she wanted the money in the first place. I was hesitant in bringing it up because of what happened the last time we talked about money, but I was her guardian and I had to know.

"Hannah," I called up one evening, "Dinner! Come get it before the dog does." Miami's oldest puppy instantly sat when she saw me with food. "Not for you Albany," I said to her. She still laid down and rolled onto her back. "Silly dog," I said.

Hannah came down. She took her place at the table and grabbed her plate from me. "Before you eat," I said, "I'd like to know why you wanted money so bad that you would, you know."

Hannah sighed. "I wanted to try to find my mom," she said, "I know she's still out there. Her ship couldn't have sunk, she has to be alive in China and I have to find her. She's my mother."

I sighed. "Hannah," I told her, "There's other ways to get money for that kind of thing. You didn't have to do what you did. You could have baby-sat, found a job, asked for an allowance, all above. You also could have told me."

Hannah looked at me surprised. "So you don't think I'm crazy for thinking that my mother is still alive?" she asked.

"Hannah," I told her, "My dad and grandfather are two examples of how impossible things can happen. Dad was missing for 13 years, Grandpa for 33, so there's still a chance your mother could still be alive. But the ship really was lost, that part's not debatable."

Hannah sighed. "Mom has to be out there. I'm not going to stop looking."

"And you shouldn't," I said to her, "Never give up Hannah. Keep looking for your mother, no matter what others may say. Keep looking for her." Hannah smiled at me, she had such a beautiful smile and she was using it more and more.

A FEW DAYS LATER

So, Hannah has a boyfriend. News to me. How is she old enough to like guys? She's my little sister, grated she's not that much younger than me, but still.

Hannah's new boyfriend's mother invited Hannah's family over for dinner and I don't think the invite was optional. "Please Kopa," Hannah pleaded, "I really like Wu. He and his family came over from China just like Mom did and his mother does all the things Mom used to do. Wu is a wonderful boy and you'll like him. Just give them a chance."

I sighed. "Hannah," I said, "If I wasn't giving them a chance, we would not be on our way to Chinatown right now. I'm sure I'll like Wu and I'm sure his mother and sisters are wonderful people. Now can you stop talking to me so much while I'm driving in New York city?" A taxi honked at me and used a finger gesture. "Use that gesture and you're grounded for longer than you already are," I told Hannah real quick.

"Here we are," Hannah said, pointing to an apartment house next to a fruit vender's cart. I pulled up to the nearest parking spot and got out. The fruit vender showed us his wears, but we both shook our heads no and walked up to the Fa household.

Hannah rang the doorbell. "Mrs. Fa used to be a matchmaker in China," Hannah told me, "So she may try to arrange a marriage between Wu and I. Please say no." She's just telling me this now?

A middle-aged Chinese woman opened the door, the smell of fried rice and tea drifted outside. Her smile faded when she saw me. "Mr. Landlord," she cried.

"No Mrs. Fa," Hannah said, "He's not your landlord, he's my big brother, the one who takes care of me."

"I don't own this building," I said to her. I held out my hand. "Nice to meet you Mrs. Fa. Hannah speaks highly of you."

"Mother," a Chinese teenage boy came to the door. He too froze when he saw me, but he also saw Hannah. "Hannah?" he asked, "What is this man doing here?"

"He's my big brother Wu," Hannah said, "This is Kopa, Kopa, this is Wu."

I reached my hand out to Wu. "As I was telling your mother," I said, "Nice to meet you. Hannah speaks highly of you as well."

Mrs. Fa grabbed Hannah's arm and spoke to her in Chinese. Hannah's face went to a look of shock. "Mrs. Fa!" she shouted outraged, "I am not in danger. He's my brother. Why do you think I'm in danger."

"He cannot be your brother," Wu said, "He is white."

"Half-brother really," I said, "Our father was white. I look like our father, Hannah looks like her mother."

"You white blood!" Mrs. Fa shouted, "Mrs. Fa thought you pure Chinese! Mrs. Fa want pure Chinese girl for son!"

Hannah scoffed. "Does it really matter if I'm pure Chinese or not?" she asked.

Wu grabbed his mother to calm her down. "Hannah," he said, "Why did you not tell me you were half white?"

"Does it matter?" Hannah asked, "You love me right?"

Wu didn't answer her. Hannah started to cry. I wrapped my arms around her. Then Mr. Fa got involved.

"What is yelling?" he shouted. Then he saw me. I knew him. "Mr. King," he said bowing, "I am honored to have you in my household."

Mrs. Fa turned to her husband and shouted in Chinese at him. I really should learn Chinese sometime. Mr. Fa held up his hand and his wife went quiet. "This is Mr. King, he my boss. His father hire me and give money as loan to get you and children over here. He always welcome in my household."

"Is this true?" Wu said, "You are my father's boss?"

I nodded. "It seems as though your son and my sister are dating," I said to Mr. Fa.

"No, we're not," Hannah said, "I could never date a man who judges so easily. Kopa is an amazing brother and I won't have anyone talking bad about him because he's white." She shot a look right at Mrs. Fa, who looked down at the floor in shame.

"Hannah," I said, "You don't have to break up with Wu just because of this one incident."

Hannah shook her head. "I do Kopa. No one should say what Mrs. Fa said about you to anyone. I never knew she was such a potty mouth."

"What you say to Mr. King?" Mr. Fa asked. Hannah repeated Mrs. Fa's rapid speech and Mr. Fa's face went red with fury. "No say that to boss!" he shouted, "No say that to any person!"

I really wonder what she said, but at the same time, I'm glad I don't speak Chinese yet.