Finally Adjusted.

RANI

Why am I packing up the car without fixing whatever broke this week? I don't know why I'm doing this, but I am. Someone talk me out of this, please.

. . .

Nobody? Really?!

I closed the truck and sighed. I couldn't do this, but am I really going to do anything about this? I have no idea. I shouldn't, but will I?

"Rani!" Ballyo called out. I have never been so thankful for my little brother before.

Ballyo ran to me and threw his arms around me in a hug. "I'm sorry this vacation wasn't what we thought," he said. Understatement of the year right there.

I sighed. "It's not your fault Ballyo. Grandmother had a heart attack. At least I got to say goodbye."

Ballyo put on a smile for me. Whether it was a real smile or a fake one, I don't know. "I'm sorry Nermala and Surak couldn't be here to see you off," he said, "We are related to a cop and doctor couple. They said goodbye when they left this morning, right?" I nodded. It had been a quick goodbye, but still a goodbye. "That's good," Ballyo said, "See you at your wedding. I guess. Who's walking you down the aisle?"

"I haven't decided yet," I told him, "I can't make up my mind who should. It's between you, Surak, and Asher."

"The kid?" Ballyo asked.

I nodded. "He will be my stepson soon. Hard to believe I'll be a step mother already."

"Why is he here?" Ballyo asked, "And are you sure you're okay with him being here?"

I sighed. "Ballyo, we both grew up without parents. Sure, Grandmother, Surak, and Nermala did their best, but it's not the same as it was with Mom and Dad. Do you even remember Mom and Dad?" Ballyo shook his head, he had been only two when it happened. "Asher may not have been planned, but it's not his fault. Besides, I love Kion and I'll take him with whatever he comes with. Though, I will say that I didn't know about Asher when I started dating him. Neither did Kion."

Ballyo raised an eyebrow. "What?" he asked.

Kion then came over with Amahle behind him. "Have either of you seen Asher?" he asked, "I couldn't find him in the house. I thought maybe he was out here."

"I did not find him too," Amahle said.

"I haven't seen him since breakfast," Ballyo said.

I thought for a little bit. "Neither have I," I said, "But I also haven't seen Tray since breakfast. Maybe they're together."

Ballyo turned back towards the house. "I'll get Tray's weakness," he said, "I swear, he can hear that cookie jar lid from China."

A few minutes later, Ballyo came out breathless and pulling Tray and Asher out. "I don't wanna go!" Asher yelled, "I wanna stay with Tray!"

I looked over at Kion. This seemed like a dad problem and not a future step mom problem. Kion sighed. "Asher, if we don't go back, you won't be able to go back to your mom."

That got Asher's attention. And yet, despite being told he might not be able to go back to his own mother, he still took time to think about it. Kids.

Eventually, Asher got in the car. It took a promise that he'll see Tray at the wedding and Ballyo offering to let Tray play his video games to do so, but he did it. I gave my little brother a hug goodbye. "See you at my wedding," I told him.

"Shame Grandmother can't be there," Ballyo said.

I smiled, a real smile for sure. "She will be. She'll be watching us from heaven."