A Younger Foster Brother's Problem.

SIMBA

I read through the papers for building an outpost in China. This is the time of day when I work uninterrupted by everyone but the almost two year old twin girls I had brought to work, and yet my door opened. The twins were asleep in the little play pen I had set up in the corner where I can see them, so I knew it wasn't them. Sadly, I knew who it was.

"Timon, Pumbaa," I groaned, "Why are you here?"

"Not only them," Nala said. I put down the papers, Nala didn't look happy and Timon and Pumbaa were covered in soot. What did they do? "Someone," Nala said, looking right at two certain freeloaders, "Set fire to the pool house."

"Fire?" I asked, "How on earth did you do that?"

Timon shrugged. "Remember those bottle rockets we made as kids that had a habit of crashing into Mr. Ren's windows?" he asked, "That's what happened." That didn't answer my question.

I sighed. "Timon, Pumbaa, I'm going to say this as calmly as I can so I don't make a seine and wake up the girls. But you guys have got to move out. It's been over nineteen years and you are still living off of me."

"Simba," Pumbaa said, "We're your brothers."

"I know," I said, "And I have to do what's best for both you and my family. You have to get out. I know I'm rich and have money to burn, but I don't want you both living with me for the rest of your lives. This can't be healthy. You lived in my pool house for nineteen years, does that seem like a normal thing to you two?"

"They also made another Pumbaa sized hole in our wall," Nala said.

"You're paying for that," I told the guilty party, "And everything you destroy from now on. Also, you still need to get out."

THAT NIGHT

"But in Cinderella's hurry," I read to my girls, "She lost her glass slipper. She didn't have time to go back for it so she left it behind. The prince found the slipper and swore to marry the woman whose foot it fit." Was there no one in the country with Cinderella's shoe size? Oh, wait, it's a fairy tale, it doesn't have to make sense it just has to entertain little kids. "The next day, the prince. . ."

Why did it sound like someone was using a chainsaw in my backyard? 

"I'll be right back girls," I said. I ran out of the girls room and out to the backyard. Where had Timon gotten a chainsaw? Why had he gotten a chainsaw? What is he using the chainsaw for? How did he learn to use a chainsaw?!

"Guys!" I shouted to be heard over the noise. They didn't hear me. "Guys! Guys! Turn it off! I SAID TURN IT OFF!!" I saw the bright yellow extension cord and followed it to where it plugged into the outside plug. I cut the power. Timon's chainsaw stopped.

"What are you two doing at eight o'clock at night with a chainsaw?" I shouted, "I was reading to the twins and you guys are. . . ARE YOU CUTTING DOWN A TREE?!" The tree I had built the tree house in had a big slash cut across the trunk. The tree house tree is the tree they chose to cut down?

"We don't have the money for a pool house," Timon said, "So we're building you one ourselves. Rented a chainsaw and we'll turn this tree into your new pool house."

"Umm," Pumbaa said, "Timon, it looks like we may have chosen the wrong tree to cut down. This is the tree with the kids' tree house."

"Oops," Timon said. 

"Oops?" I asked, "That's all you have to say? Oops? You could have cut down my children's tree house with a chainsaw I didn't know you had and all you have to say is oops?"

"I get the tree thing," Timon said, "But why are you upset about the chainsaw?"

"Did you use my money to rent it?" I asked. Timon was silent. He used my money. I sighed. "Guys," I said, "Get out. I know we're brothers and I wouldn't be who I am without you, but it's time for you to grow up. I said this nineteen years ago and I'm still saying it today. I'm younger but I'm more mature. 

"I have a wife and kids, I provide for my wife and the two kids at home. I work all day long to provide for my family and I still spend time with them," I took the chainsaw from Timon. "You guys work at most five hours a day, freeload off of me, and until this afternoon, lived in my pool house. You are suppose to pay rent, but haven't in three years and you were behind then too. And I can't have you showing my kids how to loaf off of someone."

"What are you saying Simba?" Timon asked.

I wasn't going to kick them out. I'm not that fed up with their behavior, but Nala is. I have a different plan anyway. "I'm hiring you," I said, "Tomorrow, when I go to work, you both are going with me. I'll teach you what it's like to work for a living."

THE NEXT DAY

"So Simba," Timon said, "What big bucks business deal are we working on?"

I opened up my briefcase and took out a few papers. "I'm working on opening up an outpost in China," I said, "A few of my mangers will have to spend somewhere around a year in Hong-Kong getting it ready. That is if I can work out what departments are really needed in China. They make almost everything, you know."

"How much will that bring in?" Pumbaa asked.

"70,000,000 Yuan a year," I said, "I's not sure how much that is in American dollars yet." Timon and Pumbaa were getting excited. "As for you two," I said, taking the mug Kopa had made me many years ago, "How about you start by getting me some coffee."

Timon and Pumbaa lost their excited looks. "Coffee?" Timon asked, "Simba, you can't be serious."

I gave him the mug. "Two sugars, no cream," I said, "And I am serious. You guys didn't think I would give you a high end job when you have no education or experience in this area, did you?"

"Yes," Pumbaa said.

"Sorry guys," I told them, "But before the high end job comes, if it comes at all, you're going to have to work hard and earn a living. Be glad I gave you this job, Nala wanted to kick you out on the streets."

"What job do we have anyway?" Pumbaa asked.

"Erred boys," I answered, "For good pay I must say. Not near my pay, not by a long shot. Like from here to where the new outpost will be, times ten. You're getting 500 dollars a month, each. Can you get my coffee now?"

"I can't believe you would give us this job," Timon complained.

I crossed my arms and put on my 'someone's getting fired' face. "I have been putting up with your freeloading for long enough. It's time you both joined the work force. Complain too much and you're fired, okay?" They didn't answer. "Coffee please," I said in a nicer tone.