Jealous Much?

(Still, I swear I'm not lazy. I just don't have time)

JASIRI

"How did that get in there?" I asked, "I didn't even know we had it."

Kion shrugged. "Maybe it was an accident?" he suggested, "Like someone threw it out with the junk mail? Could that happen?"

"I always look through the junk mail," I told him, "And Asher doesn't do anything other than pick up the mail."

"So Janja's our man," Kion groaned, "I'm still going to believe this is an accident because I have no evidence otherwise and it sounds ridiculous anyway."

"What did I do?" Janja said, coming into the kitchen, "Whatever I did, I didn't do it! Why are you trying to make me look bad Kion?"

Kion turned back to face him confused. "I'm not trying to make you look bad. Do you even know what we're talking about?"

"I know you're trying to make me look bad," Janja said.

"Janja!" I shouted, trying to stop a fight between the two men, "It's not that bad. We're just trying to figure out who threw out the invite to Kion and Rani's wedding!"

Janja eyed Kion. "If you're getting married, why are you trying to impress Jasiri?"

Kion raised an eyebrow. "I'm not trying to impress Jasiri, I'm trying to be a good dad to Asher. Why does it seem like I'm trying to impress Jasiri?"

"What's going on in here?" Rani asked, coming in with Asher and Amahle behind her.

I sighed. "One big confusing misunderstanding."

"We think Janja accidentally threw out the invitation to our wedding Rani," Kion said, "Janja thought I was accusing him of something. Janja, Jasiri just said that she looks through the mail carefully and Asher doesn't look through the mail at all, so you have to be the one to do it."

"It was just a mistake Janja," I said.

Janja threw his hands up. "I didn't do it!" he said, "At least I don't think I did. Maybe I did. But I didn't get the mail today."

"That's a good point," Kion said, "The invite was pretty easy to find. If Janja didn't get the mail today, and he did it, shouldn't the invite be harder to find?"

I turned back to face him. "That's right," I said, "So you didn't do it Janja."

"I knew it!" Janja said, "Wait, who did?"

"I did," I turned towards the voice.

"Asher?" I asked, "Did you throw out the invite to your dad's wedding?"

Asher nodded. "And I didn't do it on accident," he said.

I sighed. "Kion, parent talk time," I told my boy's dad. Kion sighed, picked up Asher, and we all went to the living room.

Kion set Asher down and we surrounded him. "Why did you throw out my wedding invite?" Kion asked.

"You're not marrying Mom," Asher pouted.

Kion and I met each other's gazes. We both knew this would happen one day. The question is how do we explain why Kion and I won't get married anytime soon to a seven year old? I got nothing, the look in Kion's eyes tells me he's got nothing, I highly doubt Janja's got anything.

"Asher," Kion said, starting us off, "Look, your mom and I love you very much and. . .Jasiri?"

"Thanks a lot Kion," I said, "Look Asher, Mommy and Daddy would love to give you a normal family, where the mom and dad are married and you would see both of us every day. But it just won't work for us like that."

"Why not?" Asher asked.

"We tried being together before," Kion told him, "It was nice, but your mom and I know now that it wouldn't have lasted. Before long, we wouldn't have been happy together and that is not the kind of family we want you to grow up in."

"Yeah," I said, finally getting somewhere, "You don't want us to be unhappy, do you?"

Asher just crossed his arms.

I sighed and pulled Asher onto my lap. "Look," I told him, "Your dad and I want the best for you and only the best. If we were to get married, we'd be fighting a lot like Aunt Medoa and Uncle Pete. You hate it when they fight, so you wouldn't like it if we were to fight."

"I don't want you to fight," Asher said, "But I still want you to get married."

Kion rustled Asher's mop of brown hair. "We don't want to fight either, so we're sharing you. Your mom and I still are friends, but that's all we'll be. Besides, when Rani and I get married, she'll be your step mom. Having a step mom means more presents for Christmas and your birthday. And you know that pie you loved when you came for Aunt Kiara's wedding? Rani made it. Does she sound like she would be a bad step mom?"

"Don't step moms be bad in stories?" Asher asked.

"I have no plans of being bad," Rani said, "Besides, your parents wouldn't let that happen."

Asher lay his head on my shoulder. "Asher," I sighed, "I'm sorry you don't have a normal family, but this family is just perfect for you. You have a loving mom and dad, loving grandparents, so many aunts and uncles, a great-grandpa, and you'll have a step mom soon. And maybe a step dad as well. Which means more presents."

"I haven't even thought of that yet," Janja said.

"Do you understand why we can't get married?" Kion asked.

Asher sighed. "I guess, I still want it to happen though."

Kion and I smiled at each other. I actually don't know what would have happened if I hadn't kept Asher from him, but I love my life now. Besides, who knows what trouble Kion would have been in. "Don't worry Asher," I told my little boy, "Mommy and Daddy still love you very much. You are the most important thing in our lives and we only want what's best for you."

"Speaking of which," Kion said, "How about I give you my present?"

The mention of a gift made Asher forget we just told him we weren't going to get married. "Amahle," Kion said, "Could you get the gift?"

Amahle brought over a box wrapped in rainbow wrapping paper. I knew to Asher, it looked like shades of gray with pale yellow mixed in. Kion handed the present to Asher. He tore open the paper and took out the box. I gasped.

"Color blind glasses?" I asked, "Great idea Kion! Asher, you can see colors now!"

"No more carrots?" Asher asked.

Kion took the glasses out of the box. They looked like ordinary glasses. "Here you go Asher," Kion said, giving him the glasses. He grabbed a piece of wrapping paper. "See the rainbow."

Asher slid on the glasses and gasped.