8

August

"How was your flight momma?"

"The longest hour and a half flight of my life."

Pulling my seatbelt, I shook my head as I started my car as that answer was expected.

"Every time I get you from the airport and ask that question, you give me the same answer."

"Yeah well, you know I don't like to fly."

"That's besides the point momma."

"No, that is the point."

"So what, you want me to drive to Houston to get you and then we drive back?"

"I don't see why not." She looked over at me. "I had to carry you around for nine months and endure all that pain of birthing your big headed ass, what's a little drive going to hurt?"

"Clearly you lost your mind on that flight because ain't no way I'm driving ten hours back and forth."

"That's how long you had me in labor for."

"Momma." I sighed.

"I'm just saying." She shrugged then laughed. "But how are you though? How was Christmas?" She asked.

At that point, I had decided to just tell her than wait until we got back to my place.

"I'm great, my health and everything been good. Christmas was decent. Trav and I handled the cooking as Chrysta been doing a lot since she got here."

"Mmmm. And how has that been going?"

"Good. We found out she's pregnant yesterday."

"She's what?"

"Pregnant."

"Excuse me?"

"She's three months pregnant."

"For who?"

Coming to a stop at a traffic light, I gave her my full attention. I didn't expect that question from and it didn't sit right with me.

"What do you mean 'for who?' For me."

"Boy what?" She laughed. "This has to be some kind of a joke."

"Nah it ain't. Chrysta is pregnant with my son."

"Okay son. Well what should I say, congratulations." She continued laughing. "I don't know why y'all love messing with me like this."

"Really momma? Ain't nobody messing with you."

"August, you only know that girl what, a year now and you're telling me she's pregnant for you when she doesn't even live here. Come on son. Open your eyes."

"Chrysta and I know each other for almost three years momma."

"A year, three years, eh." She shrugged. "My point is, that isn't your child. Don't be so gullible. You don't know if she was sleeping with anyone else, or even that ex of hers she couldn't shake. Remember when you kept telling me bout him?"

"And had I know you was gonna bring that shit back up, I wouldn't have." I shook my head.

"And what's that suppose to mean?"

"It means I didn't tell you that for you to throw it back at me. She and that nigga been done, but they were still friends and that's what I didn't like, which she knew but they weren't fucking."

"If you want to believe that, then okay but, that still doesn't mean."

"You know what, let just end this right here."