94

Chrysta

"August? Time to wake up love."

Groaning, he rolled over, turning his back to me like his father would do. Every morning it was like this now that he's going to school physically. Enrolled in a really good public school, we decided on public to give him that balance but we were mindful of his exceptionality.

"Remember, you wanted to go to school, so this is how it goes."

Hearing him sigh, he rolled back and stared at me. Sitting up, we held hands and said a morning prayer before properly greeting each other.

"Don't worry love? Winter break is soon and then you'll decide for sure if you want to stay."

"Okay." He nodded.

One month in and he was doing good. He had made a couple friends who seemed genuine, which I was happy about. One of my concerns going in was him being taken advantage because of who his father was, but like Aug said, we would handle that accordingly.

"Alright, now get ready, let me go organize breakfast before your sister gets up."

Kissing him on his forehead, I left his room, checked on Celeste then headed down to the kitchen. It was just the three of us as Aug was out of town and now more than ever a routine was needed as I'm seven months pregnant.

"Okay little miss, what are you feeling for this morning?" I spoke to my Goddaughter.

Feeling her move around, I smiled as I got out the ingredients I needed.

"Mom!" I heard through the baby monitor.

"August? If you only wake up your sister."

"I'm in my room." He snickered.

"What yuh want boy?"

"Can I get an omelette for breakfast?"

"Sure. Is that it?"

"Yeah. Bye."

"That boy." I shook my head.

Grabbing the eggs and bacon, I went ahead and got started on his omelette as well as my sautéed sausages. Feeling for something more on a home feeling, I decided to make some fried bake to go with both options.

To this day, I try to keep up my Trinidadian traditions within our home. My son loved the food and has played mas a few times well so with my daughter turning a year, I was excited in going back home in the new year.

"Ouuu bake."

Turning around, I smiled and shook my head as he approached the counter.

"Careful, those are hot."

"Ah! Shoot!" He was heard saying. "May I have a knife please?"

Handing him the bread knife, he took his time and cut it open as I turned off the stove. Plating my sausages from the pan, I went over to the basket with the bake and took one. Sitting with him, we held hands and said a prayer before getting into our meal.