15

August

"Mmmm."

Rolling over, as her alarm went off, I stretched and got her phone, taking it off. Getting back into my spot, I gently kissed Chrysta on her lips, causing her to moan.

"Good morning love." I whispered.

"Mmm." She groaned.

"Time to get up ma."

"Ten more minutes."

"Aight." I kissed her then got up.

Stretching, I said a prayer before then made my way into her bathroom. It was officially Carnival Tuesday and we were about to hit the road for the last time but our first time in full costume. Luckily for us, Chrys was able to get us costumes last minute.

Experiencing Carnival this far been good, busy but good. The culture here was rich and vibrant and reminded me of back in New Orleans. Seeing the children have fun in their costumes made me think of our son doing the same one day and I was ready for that.

Walking back into her room, she was still asleep. Going into the kitchen, I turned on the light and decided to get breakfast going for us. It's was early and apparently this was normal time for Carnival especially if you're playing mas. Yesterday at J'Ouvert was crazy but fun then to get all that paint off of us in time to meet the band for midday mas, I knew this was an experience I wasn't going to forget.

"Morning goon."

Looking over my shoulder Terrence came walking in. Returning the greeting, he as as I finished. Conversing about yesterday and what we expect for today, the sound of the front gate opening caught our attention. Waiting to see who it was, as the side door and gate opened, Shanice came walking in, costume in hand.

"Morning. Chrys up?"

"Nah. I'm letting her sleep a bit longer. We gonna be on the road all day, she need it."

"Okay cool." She nodded as she placed down her stuff.

"Breakfast?"

"Thanks." She said as she got a plate after Terrence.

Taking out for both me and Chrys, same time Travis came out. Leaving them, I went back into the bedroom. Noticing the empty bed, I called and she answered from the bathroom. Letting me know she'll be out in a bit, I placed down our breakfast and got the packages with our costumes. As I sorted them, laying them on the bed she came out looking refreshed.

"Good morning loved." I smiled.

"Morning babe." She kissed me.

"How are you feeling?"

"A little tired but I'm fine. You?"

"Same but I'm ready to hit the road today."

"Look at you, bout 'hit the road'."

"A nigga gotta blend in right?" I smiled. "Come eat."

Taking her hand, we went over to the spread that was on the floor that the food was on. Helping her sit, I then sat next to her. Holding hands, we blessed our food before eating.

As we ate and conversed, there was a knock on the door. Allowing who it was to come in, her mother greeted us then said she would be in the family room.

"So mommy and I have a thing where she helps me get ready."

"A bonding session?"

"Yeah." She smiled.

"That's nice though."

"She used to play mas too. Between her and daddy, I don't know who I got it from."