29

August

Pacing in her room, I waited for them to bring Chrysta in. Our son was sound asleep in the bassinet besides the bed and I hoped she'd be back in time for his first feeding.

"God, I just want to take my girl and our son home." I prayed.

Same time, the sound of the door caught my attention, causing me to turn around instantly.

"August." Our midwife called.

Seeing her with a small smile on her face, I relaxed myself.

"Where's Chrysta? Is she okay?" I questioned,.

"She will be." Our midwife smiled. "Doctor Jones was able to get it detached and out."

"Okay great. So what now? She has stitches to take care of?"

After asking that, there was a knock on the door followed by someone walking in, whom I assumed was the doctor.

"August, Doctor Jones."

"Hey doc, nice to meet you."

"Same here. You can stop worrying, she's a strong young lady." She smiled. "We were able to get the placenta out without operating."

"How?"

"Well, okay so there are a few different procedures when dealing with a retained placenta and the one I chose to do was to physically remove it."

"Oh."

"Yes. Surgical procedure is a last resort and being a new mother, I try to not have to go that route, to lessen on the pain and discomfort factor for her. She should wake up soon. She will be a bit sore but she'll be fine. The bleed has stopped and everything is working as normal."

"Thank you so much. We really appreciate this."

"Your most welcome and congratulations on y'all new addition." She smiled.

"Thank you." I smiled back.

As she left, I hugged and thanked the midwife. I had already done so with our doula while covering the additional cost for today.

"Call me if you need anything. I'm on the floor."

"I will, thanks."

Leaving me to be with her, I approached her bed side. Sitting, I held her hand and said a silent pray, thanking God for getting us through this. In the midst of it all, she woke up which I was happy about. Getting in besides her, I held her in my arms closely.

"Don't ever scare me like that again."

"I'm sorry babe."

"It's alright love." I kissed her temple. "It's alright. I'm just glad you're okay."

As we laid there, the sound of our son beginning to cry was heard. Getting him, I placed him on her belly as she took out her breast for him to nurse. We had seen a video where they did this thing called the breast crawl and we always said we wanted to try it.

Leaving him there, I watched and recorded in amazement as my son he found his way to the nipple. Seeing her face scrunch up when he latched on, I could tell she was in pain. During her pregnancy, we did a lot of reading on what to expect and painful nursing was one of them.

"Want me to adjust your bed?"

"It's fine like this. He seems so comfortable."

"He looks comfortable." I smiled.

Sitting there, I couldn't help but stare. I was officially a father and my heart at this point could just burst with joy.

"Are our parents still here?"