27

August

"I'm fine babe."

"No pains?"

"No pains so you can stop pacing." She laughed lightly. "Come help me to the bathroom." She stretched her hand.

Taking it, I helped her up the stairs and into our room to get cleaned up. While she did that, I went back downstairs clean up the puddle. Panicking internally, I couldn't believe this shit was happening.

"What are you doing?" I heard behind me.

Startled, I looked over my shoulder to the sight of my momma entering the house.

"Chrysta's water broke."

"Where is she?" She placed down her things.

"She went to get cleaned up, she said no pains yet."

"Okay. You give me that, go call the midwife or doula."

Handing over the mop, I paused and exhaled. Trying to calm myself, I looked at my mother who was staring at me.

"I don't think I'm ready for this momma." I admitted.

"Little to late for that son." She joked.

Coming over to me, she cupped my face.

"You'll be fine. This is just first time nervousness kicking in. The both of y'all are ready and y'all got this."

Taking a deep breath, I exhaled then she hugged me. Feeling some ease, I made my way back upstairs. Knocking on the door, I entered to Chrysta sitting on the edge of the bed, legs spread, rubbing her belly while on the phone.

"Yeah we got a yoga ball today actually."

Glancing at me, she mouthed out the doula. Finishing her conversation, I told her momma was here and she told me what the doula had said.

"I'm going to call my mom, can you blow up the ball for me?"

"Of course."

Surprised by how calm she was being, I got the ball out of the box then the pump. Blowing it up while she was on the phone with her mother, when I was finished, she came over and sat on it to test it out. Satisfied, she looked at me and smiled.

"You're cute when you're panicking." She kissed me.

"I'm not."

"Oh you are." She laughed. "I can tell but I appreciate you trying not to show it in front of me because honestly, I'm nervous too." She admitted.

"The two of us can't be panicking at the same time woman." I joked. "You need anything? How are you feeling?"

"Can we lay down for a bit?"

"Sure. Let me get cleaned up. I got all your damn amniotic fluid on me still." I laughed.

"Okay." She laughed as well.

Getting into bed while I changed, I got in the shower. Once finished, I semi dried my body, threw on my boxers and then joined her. Laying behind, I caressed her belly.

"That feels so good."

"Yeah?"

"Yes. The contractions have begun."

"Seriously?"

"Mhmm but I'm more feeling slight pains in my lower back."

"You sure you don't want to go to the center now?"

"I'm sure."

Glancing at her, I noticed her eyes closed. Continuing massage her back, once she was deep in her sleep, I eased my way out of the bed, got our bag and took it downstairs.