32

August

Groaning in my sleep at the sound of my son crying, I rolled over to realize I was in bed alone. Laying on my back, I exhaled and that's when I heard Chrysta's voice through the baby monitor.

"I know you want daddy but he's sleeping. He has a full day ahead of him today and he needs his rest."

She didn't lie about that, I did have a full day ahead of me with meetings but I didn't even want to go. Getting up, I adjusted my shorts, slipped my feet in my slippers and then made my way over to the nursery. Within the past four days since we've been back, he had settled in his own space and we were happy about that.

"Morning babe." I kissed Chrysta as she replied. "I got him." I took him from her.

"Babe?"

"It's cool Chrys. He's already calming down. I'll put him back to sleep and come back to bed."

"Okay." She sighed.

As she got up, I sat on the chair with him. Straightening up, I watched as she moved around, shaking my head.

"Chrysta?"

"Mmm." She glanced at me.

"Go back to bed."

Sighing, she nodded and left the room. I knew she wanted to be with him, to calm him down but there was those rare moments when he just wanted me.

"Your momma loves you so much man." I snickered.

Staring up at me, I lightly blew on his face. Smiling as his eyes closed, eventually he fell asleep and I was back in bed.

"C'mere."

Rolling over, I wrapped her in my arms and kissed her on her forehead.

"Yeen gotta be jealous. He loves us both."

"Whatever."

Poking her on her side, she laughed and wiggled. Tickling her some more, when I stopped, we both came down from her laughing fit.

"You know what I haven't asked you?"

"What!"

"How have you been doing?" I rubbed her arm.

"I've been good. Adjusted thus far."

"Yeah?"

"Mhmm."

"Well I'm happy to hear that. I was a bit worried to be honest."

"Why?"

"Because I'm basically back to work and it's mainly you with him."

"Yeah but we make the most of it."

"Wanna hear a surprise?"

"What?" She laughed.

"Why you laughed?"

"Because it's a surprise but you're going to tell me."

"Yeah and."

"Just tell me."

"We're going somewhere for the weekend. The three of us."

"Really? Where?"

"That's the surprise."

"Is it baby friendly?"

"It is and you'll love it."

"I'm excited then."

"That's what I was hoping to hear. I don't want you to think that he's going to keep us from enjoying our relationship, okay?"