81

Chrysta

"You good?"

Looking over my shoulder, I nodded as I answered him. Stepping into our home for the first time since the break in, I took a couple deep breaths, settling my spirit. Everything was just as we had left it five days ago and it was just an unsettling feeling.

Thinking back on all that was stolen, we figured they were all sold by now. Amongst the things stolen were both our MacBooks, our TVs and our everyday jewelry that we tend to just rest on our vanity as everything else were secured like we usual. Thankfully all our files were backed up so nothing was really lost.

Walking into the family room, seeing our pictures broken on the floor, it hurt my heart. Taking my time, I picked up the frames, making sure I don't get cut.

"Careful there ma."

"Yeah." I answered then sighed.

Placing the frames on the coffee table, I walked up the hall to the supply closet to get the broom and scoop. Entering the kitchen, I sighed as I watch at how it looked.

"Don't worry bout that love." I heard behind me. "The cleaning company is sending over their best team to clean up."

"Okay, but until then, I can start."

"Chrysta?!?"

"August?" I turned to him.

"Baybeh, you're almost eight months pregnant, I'm not gonna let you do anything strenuous." He held the broom.

"I'm able to sweep up some glass Aug. I'm not lifting the couch." I pulled the broom back.

Staring at me, I simply walked off, heading back into the family room. While sweeping the pieces of glass into a heap, the scoop appeared. Looking up, he was holding it in place waiting on me to sweep it in.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. You want me to take out the photos from the frames?"

"Yea please. We can get new ones later or tomorrow."

"Aight."

Kissing me on my forehead, he went and dumped the glass before dealing with the frames. In the midst of that and me going into the kitchen, the sound of the bell by the gate rang through the house. Checking the monitor on the wall and pressing and speaking into the intercom, the cleaners identified themselves and they were let in.

Hearing Aug greet them, I did the same when I saw them, before excusing myself and going out to the back yard. Making my way over to the pool, I took my time and walked down the stairs. As I was about to sit, I heard my husband's voice.

"Here you go love."

Giving him my attention, he stood there holding what looked like my bikini. Coming out, we walked over to the pool house where he assisted me in changing.

"Not so fast." He pulled me back.

Squeezing out some sunblock in his hands, he rubbed my belly and then body.

"Now my baybehs are ready." He smiled.

"Thank you babe." I tiptoed and kissed him.

"You're welcome my love." He smiled.

*******

"Baybeh?"

Entering our bedroom, I wiped my face but he saw me. Coming over and hugging me, I began crying again. Our home was cleaned and put back into place but it still felt off. Though we had smudged and smoked out with sage and incense, I still felt a heaviness around me.