47

August

"What's up momma?" I answered her call.

"Have you spoken to Chrysta?"

"I was about to call her when you called. Lah man has a doctors visit. Why wassup?"

"I'm wondering if I should say." She let out a little laugh.

"I'm sure she's going to tell me anyway, so go ahead."

"She called and asked, well invited me to spend Thanksgiving with y'all, in Trinidad."

"She did that? And what did you say?"

"Honestly, I accepted."

"That's great."

"Yeah but I don't know how to book the flights." She laughed.

"I'll organize that for you. Commercial you're gonna have to connect in either Miami or New York."

"How do you fly when you go out there?"

"Sometimes chartered, sometimes commercial. It depends on where I'm at."

"Oh okay. Where you gonna be before you head out there?"

"I gotta check my schedule. If I'm in Atlanta, you can just meet me and we'll go chartered."

"Or. On your way, you can pick me up."

"I guess. We'll sort that shit out closer, just make sure and pack smart."

"What you mean by that?"

"Chrysta and em don't have fall or winter, so pack like it's either spring or summer."

"Really? Okay okay."

"Yeah and we're supposed to be going to Tobago, their sister island so pack beach clothes but don't over pack, yeen going to stay."

"I just might." She joked.

"I'm glad you agreed though, a nigga probably wouldn't have heard the end of it if you didn't."

"You think so?"

"Nah. I'm just exaggerating. Chrysta wouldn't ask said shit bout it and never asked you again."

Getting quiet, she started at me but I wasn't lying. Had my momma not accepted that would have been it on her inviting her out to Trinidad and she wouldn't have even noticed.

"Anyway, let me call you back."

"Oh right, the appointment. Later son."

"Later momma."

Smiling as I looked for Chrysta's contact in my logs, I FaceTimed her once I found it. As she answered, our son's face was all up in the video which made me laugh. Cooing and squealing, she eventually came into my view, trying to settle him.

"Y'all at the doctor's office?"

"Sitting and waiting."

"Anything I need to know about?" I asked.

"Umm. Not that I know of." She answered plainly.

"Okay, cool."

I was waiting to see if she would mention the phone call with my momma. Though I asked her to try to build something with my momma, I genuinely was surprised that she invited her to visit. Hearing her name call, she adjusted him in her arms and got up.