Muichiro x Reader

"Hurry up Muichiro before the ice melts!"  I happily ran forward, pulling the mist hashira behind me.  He stumbled in a daze behind me but I refused to let go.  The snow crunched under our feet with each hurried step. 

"Where are you taking me again sir?" the gentle voice called out to my back.  I turned and smiled brightly, pointing up ahead along the path. 

"The pond froze over and I want to go see it with you!" I exclaimed excitedly.  He blinked slowly back at me but I refused to let his hazed mind forget today.  I needed him to remember these moments. 

I continued along, my haori flowing behind me and Muichiro's and my skates thumping against my back.  The trees began to thicken as an animal scurried in one of the higher branches sending snow to fall onto me.  I laughed and shook the powder from my hair.  A squeeze of my hand reassured me and I looked over my shoulder.  Muichiro gazed at my eyes and tilted his head slightly in question. 

"Is the spot coming up soon?" he asked curiously.  I grinned and scanned the area looking for any familiar landmarks.  I started to recognize the area and pulled Muichiro to go faster. 

The early morning air was crisp as my breath curled around my mouth in wisps.  Everything was so clear and still on days like these, as if the cold had not only frozen the earth but time itself.  Seeing a wall of bushes I skillfully and carefully moved through them to avoid Muichiro getting hurt from the branches behind me. 

We stumbled past the brush and into a clearing.  Looming, glistening trees ringed the outside of an iced pond as I gasped at its beauty.  The early morning light reflected the array of colors in the ice and shone brightly.  A gentle breeze ruffled my hair and made me shiver in delight. 

Muichiro tugged on my sleeve, grabbing my attention.  He was looking intently at the pond before glancing at me with equal importance.  "Can we skate now?" he asked kindly.  I smiled back and slung the skates off my shoulders. 

"Of course Muichiro."  I handed him his skates before sitting down; I removed my shoes and slipped on my ice skates making sure to lace them properly before standing up carefully.  Muichiro fastened his skates on as well but looked up at me expectantly with a tilt of his head.  I walked over as he raised his hands to me.  I grasped his hands firmly and pulled him to his feet.  He nodded in appreciation as we shuffled to the pond's edge. 

I gingerly placed my foot on the ice, checking its stability before pushing off and gliding over the pond.  The sound of metal and ice filled my ears in such a wonderful way as a sigh escaped my lips.  A familiar rhythm guided my legs to sway side to side, setting a slightly faster pace. 

Swinging my body around I quickly jumped in the air, landing firmly back on the ice.  I laughed at the success and decided to try another.  My body twirled swiftly once again before my feet met the ice once more.  Switching directions I skated backwards looking for Muichiro. 

His gaze was directed at me with those beautiful ocean eyes of his.  Heat crept along my neck up towards my face at the attention.  This is what I wanted after all, his focus.  I gestured for him to follow me and come onto the ice. 

He looked down before pushing off the side and gliding towards me.  He seemed to be in a trance as he watched his feet slide smoothly forward.  He gave an experimental turn making me inhale sharply at his gracefulness.  He spun and twirled lazily but with perfect poise.  Whatever abilities he had were clearly natural as he spared no intense focus on his elegant actions. 

I decided to give some more turns myself as I let my mind wander.  My legs moved without thought and my heart was light.  Knowing Muichiro was enjoying himself made it much more worthwhile.  After a hard few weeks of training we both needed this anyway. 

I turned my attention back to him after a few more spins to find him stopped and staring at the sky.  He was absolutely beautiful as the breeze made his hair sway and wisps of breath curled from his mouth.  Those sea green eyes glazed and focused on some otherworldly thing as if lost to a dream. 

My breathing quickened in panic, hoping I wasn't losing him already.  He needed to remember this.  He needed to remember me.  I moved toward him and stopped right in front of him.  He pulled back his head to latch his focus onto me.  My hands pushed into my sides to keep from trembling. 

"Muichiro," I whispered softly, scared to attempt anything above a murmur.  He blinked slowly but still watched me. 

"Please.  Don't..." I cut myself off.  My gaze dropped to the ice below me in defeat.  A cold hand brushed my cheek, softly pulling my face back up to the mist hashira.  His other hand clasped my own in reassurance. 

"It will be alright," he said gently.  His thumb rubbed underneath my eye, catching a tear I wasn't aware was there.  "I won't forget this." 

The statement sounded so sure, as if he had promised me something that already existed.  He smiled gently as he interlocked our fingers and pulled me along with him.  Our arms brushed our sides as we slowly set a pace around the pond. 

A bittersweet feeling crossed my mind but I pushed it aside for now.  This moment was all that mattered because in this moment he knew who I was.