Muichiro x Reader

Thanks @Greg_thesnail185 for the request!
———

"You look absolutely divine this morning!"  The dark haired boy only offered me a confused glance, his sea green eyes scrunching a bit around the corners and his pupils hazy as usual.  It was clear my compliment wasn't getting through to him even before he confirmed my theory. 

"What?  It's already morning?" Muichiro mumbled more to himself than me while walking ahead.  It was like I didn't even exist at times and even though I've done my best to be patient with his constant forgetfulness, there were moments when he just wasn't getting the hint that I was practically shoving in his face at this point.  It was starting to irritate me accompanied with a longing ache that seemed to only grow over time.  He had to find out at some point what I felt. 

"Yes it's morning but you're also gorgeous.  You always seem to take my breath away," I smiled widely, taking one of Muichiro's hands in mine to accentuate my flirting.  He didn't give a single care in the world as he tilted his head lazily.  He looked wholly unamused as well as exhausted, whether his tiredness was at my attempts or the mission, I wasn't sure.  It was nearly impossible to know what was going on in that beautiful head of his. 

"Then just breathe, I don't understand what the problem is," he offered, pulling his hand away before moving on ahead up the trail and closer to our headquarters where our shared journey would end.  Annoyance flared in my head along with the beginning of a headache from straining myself for this long.  I've been trying so hard for so long and yet he just wasn't capable of understanding what I was trying to tell him. 

Slumping in defeat, I shuffled along with a disappointed frown.  It took me forever to even work up the confidence to start complimenting him let alone the flirting I've been trying to do for a while now.  None of it mattered though as Muichiro remained clueless. 

"The problem is that you have no idea what I've been trying to tell you for months now," I muttered to myself.  Even then, Muichiro didn't hear me as he was a few too many steps ahead to even acknowledge me.  Sighing to myself one more time, I quickened my pace till I was walking next to him.  The least I could do now was enjoy the time we had left together before one of us ended up being dragged off on another mission and then who knows the next time we'd see each other? 

As we walked in silence, I couldn't help glancing at him every few steps.  He really was adorable with his long hair and bright, hazy eyes that always drew me in.  I felt my face warming and a small smile twitching onto my lips.  The rest of my irritation started to melt away just by looking at him.  I would just have to try harder to get his attention.  I wasn't going to give up on him. 

"Muichiro, what would it take for you to hold my hand.  For me, it'd take nothing," I proudly beamed.  I was practically forcing my heart into each word no matter how cheesy and confusing my statements might've been.  All I wanted was for him to realize what I've been trying to acquire from him.  Was it so much to even get his attention even if he couldn't give me his heart? 

"You're acting strange again.  I don't understand what you're saying," Muichiro looked at me, his eyes hinting at concern and pity.  It was like I was the clueless one here, not understanding what was being said from my lips.  Helplessness plagued me, making my shoulders slump and my eyes fall to the ground.  Maybe he was giving me his own hints that he wasn't interested.  The idea hurt but as I watched Muichiro's curious shine in his eyes as he watched me, I was sure that I just sucked at communication. 

The answer hit me out of nowhere, jarring me enough that I inhaled sharply.  I've been skirting around the edges of a confession but I hadn't outright told him how I felt, only giving him hints he didn't understand no matter how hard he tried.  He was probably as fed up as I was with trying to decipher my messages.  It was clear what I had to do, for both of us. 

"I like you.  When I'm around you I feel carefree and overjoyed.  I think you're amazing and I want to go out with you on a date sometime.  If you're comfortable, I want to be your boyfriend," I stated, coming to a stop as he also slowed down in deep thought.  It took him a few moments to understand but when he did, it was clear on his face along with a soft blush and small smile.  Hope rose in my chest as he turned to stare at me affectionately, an expression I've never seen before shifting his wonderful features. 

"Why didn't you say so in the first place?  I'd love that," he quietly smiled back.  My heart nearly burst as I chuckled to myself.  If only I had known at the beginning that it would be this easy.  I probably would've saved time and lots of practice in front of my mirror with horrible pick up lines.  The memories felt silly now even though they had been the center of my life for long months. 

Overcome with happiness and victory, I darted forward with a wide beaming grin.  Muichiro reached towards me as I twirled him in the air once before he embraced me eagerly.  His warmth seeped through my robes and filled me with comfort and bliss.  It all felt too amazing to be real but as Muichiro leaned in to leave a kiss on my cheek tenderly, I'd never felt more grounded.